Heroes - that you'd like to meet before they die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When Neil Armstrong died a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that I could have shook his hand. It would have been a big deal to me.

Buzz Aldrin is still alive. I'd love to meet that guy while he's still alive.

Anyone you'd like to shake hands with before they join the recently departed?

Totally going full on geek here, but I would love to meet Jim Butcher and Alton Brown. Butcher is just a total geek about the same stuff I like, his writing is just icing on the cake. AB is pretty self explanatory, if I ever had the chance to sit down with him over a beer I wouldn't be able to stop grinning.

While I don't have any "heroes," there are a few people I admire & respect. Most of them are already dead though, so some of those still living are, in no particular order:

Stephen Hawking, Bob Schieffer (CBS News), Linda Ellerbee (formerly NBC News), Buzz Aldrin, Ron Popeil (RONCO), Bob Woodward & Carl Bernstein, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore & Joseph L. Galloway. There might be a few more out there, but these will do for now.
Regards, GF.

I actually got to meet our former Senator John Glenn while I was working at Ford's CEP#1 years ago. He flew Gemini Friendship7 to be the first American to orbit the earth. Now that was a thrill I waited a lifetime for. I'd watched him & his mission on the old B&W TV back in the day. I'd also loved to have had a beer with JM Fangio, first man to win 5 world driving championships in F1, It took Michael Schumacher some 45 years to equal that record. He won his 5th world driving championship at the old Nurburgring in the German Grand Prix when I was one, 1957. That was the first race with "real race cars" that I'd watch. Pop was a stock car fan & was let down that I liked those Real race cars from age 1! They didn't call Fangio "El Maestro" for nothing. My Grandpa drove like that as a runner in WV a long time ago & could still do it when I was 4. Cool. So those two men were my inspiration to win my only championship in GTP Division II in 1997.

I don't know. I can respect what some people have done for society or humankind. I am not Ga-Ga over anyone, really.

If I had the chance, I'd probalby like to shake hands and say thank you to a bunch of people. Among them might be:

Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Colin Hay (or the rest of the band from the Business as Usual and Cargo albums)
Weird Al Yankovic
John Williams, composer
Several Red Wings hockey players I enjoyed watching over the years
The guy who invented the autosiphon

I got to meet and say hi and thanks to several homebrewing 'legends' at this year's NHC.

Well, I met Big Moe on Sunday if that counts.

bhVf09El_400x400.jpeg

These are not all heros, but people I would love to meet.

1.) Anyone that has received the Congressional Medal of Honor. I didn't serve, but I have so much respect for people that do. In my eyes, these are the best of the best and to have the opportunity to shake the hand of a real hero and say thank you would be a pretty awesome feeling.

2.) Michael Jeffrey Jordon - Was in high school and college in the 90s. Many nights watching the master at work. I would love to play a round of golf with him and just hear some of the stories he has to tell.

3.) Bill Murray - Comedy Genius in my book

4.) Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - Would love to pick their brains. Also never hurts to rub elbows with a billionaire.

5.) Adam Sandler - Him comedy act has gotten a bit old, but I bet he would be an awesome guy to have a beer with. I would love to hear about his times on SNL.

These are not all heros, but people I would love to meet.

1.) Anyone that has received the Congressional Medal of Honor. I didn't serve, but I have so much respect for people that do. In my eyes, these are the best of the best and to have the opportunity to shake the hand of a real hero and say thank you would be a pretty awesome feeling.

2.) Michael Jeffrey Jordon - Was in high school and college in the 90s. Many nights watching the master at work. I would love to play a round of golf with him and just hear some of the stories he has to tell.

3.) Bill Murray - Comedy Genius in my book

4.) Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - Would love to pick their brains. Also never hurts to rub elbows with a billionaire.

5.) Adam Sandler - Him comedy act has gotten a bit old, but I bet he would be an awesome guy to have a beer with. I would love to hear about his times on SNL.

I' guessing he and Rob Schneider would be down for a few beers and a few tokes...

Kyle Carpenter Cpl. USMC - Received the Medal of Honor for jumping onto a live grenade to save his fellow Marines. http://www.marines.mil/moh/Citation.aspx

*I'd like to shake his hand and buy him a beer. That kid has more guts, honor and character than any jamoke in Hollywood. I can't even fathom the dedication and courage it takes to make the decision to use your body as a blast mat like that.

Back