Herms with RIM tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I have been brewing with my herms systems for about 10 batches now and I am trying to finish up the automation project. I have a bcs462. My HLT tank has a herms coil, dip tube, and a top and bottom valve for recirculating. It is being heated by a propane burner. I have a heating element to add but the HLT is pretty busy, there is a lot of stuff in there. I am wondering if anyone has used a RIMS tube externally to maintain the HLT temp? I would still light the burners for temp increases, just want the element for maintaining. It is only a 1500Watt 115 V element. Seems to me it could be done and if so it would alleviate the need to add the element into the HLT. I do have the fitting to weld into the HLT if I decide to go that way. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as putting the element directly into the HLT or running it outside in a RIMS tube? thanks.

Back