Herms temperature issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter05

Reaction score
Howdy,

My system consists of two kegs and a rectangular coleman xtreme cooler. I use a BS-460 to help control the system. I have three temperature probes: HLT, HERMS out, MLT out.

My problem is that the temperature probes that monitor the HERMS out and MLT out are not reading correctly and I cant figure it out. My HLT temp probe reads right on. I am using a thermapen to verify temperatures so I know they are accurate.

For example: When I stick my thermapen into the mash and read 151 through out my while the MLT temp probe reads 142. When I measure the wort coming out the the HERMS out I get 153 yet the temperature probe reads 145.

I have bought all three temperature probes from brewers hardware so they should be compatible. All have the same calibration settings in the BCS-460. I have them mounted so they are pointed "up" so as to always be in the flow of wort.

Anyone else have these problems?

Back