HERMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
I am designing a herms system and I am trying to figure out a good way to return the mash liquor into the mash tun after it goes through the copper coil in the HLT, does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.

Cheers!

Andrew

There are two major routes:
- sparge arm
- silicon hose

I went with hose and I am satisfied, but you will find the way that best suits for you.

I used a siphon sprayer tip and submerge it right below the liquid level above the grain bed. I connected it to a piece of silicone tubing and ran it through the lid in my mash tun. Click on my build link and there is some close up pictures. I move it all the way to the top when fly sparging.

I used a siphon sprayer tip and submerge it right below the liquid level above the grain bed. I connected it to a piece of silicone tubing and ran it through the lid in my mash tun. Click on my build link and there is some close up pictures. I move it all the way to the top when fly sparging.

+1, I originally built a sparge arm using copper tubing. It worked ok but when I switched from a braided hose to a stainless false bottom I found it would clog up with husks and grain particles. The siphon sprayer won't clog if husks and grain particles get past your false bottom...and it's cheap.

Here is a picture of the set I'm using. It allows for sparging and constant recirculation. Makes for really clear wort. There is a ball valve on the outside to allow for flow adjustment and complete shut off if the level is too high to remove the cam lock hose. I figured that out the hard way.

MLT.jpg

Back