Herms set up questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipster

Reaction score
I am building a 2 teir herms system, and the frame work is almost complete. My plan is to automate the HLT, and mash out of my converted cooler.

Question on the temp probe for the LOVE controller. Where should it go? I would imagine closer to the flame would be the best bet.

Also has anyone ever used the HLT with a herms coil to cool the wort?

I am building a 2 teir herms system, and the frame work is almost complete. My plan is to automate the HLT, and mash out of my converted cooler.

Question on the temp probe for the LOVE controller. Where should it go? I would imagine closer to the flame would be the best bet.

Also has anyone ever used the HLT with a herms coil to cool the wort?

If you are placing your temp probe in the HLT, it can be anywhere in the HLT, as all the water in there should be the same temp (homogenous).

You COULD use the HLT with ICE water to help reach pitching temps. You have to probably use a typical IC to get down to nearly 100F, then start to recirc through the HERMS coil that is in the ice water. An HLT full of ICE water may not have the thermal mass to absorb 130F of heat from a BK without becoming heat saturated.

How large is the cooler? HLT?

How large is the cooler? HLT?

The cooler is 12g. My HLT is a converted 15g keg.

Another question, how long should the HERMS coil be?

I have a 25' 3/8 IC that was gonna take the dive but I think 1/2 might be the way to go.

I use 25' of 1/2" coil... I decided to use all 1/2" plumbing on my system since I am using a pump and transferring fluids is so important in a HERMS or RIMS. I recommned the 1/2" coil, and 25' will suffice. You can see many of my pics in my gallery.

Sounds like the 3/8 IC might have to become a CFC that would solve one problem.

Thanks Pol I have looked your system over a few times. You've been a great help.

Hey, I have learned a lot here... and spent numerous hours above the clouds pondering all things brewing related. If I can help, I want to.

Back