HERMS / RIMS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I am thinking about installing either a HERMS or RIMS system (I'm leaning towards the HERMS). One question .... since both systems are essentially one long vorlauf, do you still need to sparge at the end of the mash?

Yes, if you want higher efficiency. No, if you are fine with the efficiency you get after just a recirculated mash. With a full batch recirculation I can get up to 75% efficiency, which is fine in most cases. For higher gravity beers a sparge is helpful if you don't want to make up for the lower efficiency number with extra grain.

yes you would want to sparge. i mash @ 1.25 quarts. and recirc that. and fly sparge the rest.

I do a no sparge mash with my rims and have hit up to 82% eff. Condition your grains with warm water and mill very fine - I have a few untested ideas to boost that higher also, will let everyone know if they work after tomorrow.

Back