HERMS process questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
Over the past couple months, I've set up a basic HERMS system. My HLT is a PolarWare 15 gallon kettle and my MLT and BK are both Blichmann 15 gallon kettles. I'm using 25feet of 3/8" copper coil for the HEX in the HLT.

220V 5500W element in the HLT.

220V 5500W element in the BK.

No insulation on the MLT.

I've got a Ranco in a thermowell in the HLT and a Ranco in a thermowell on the MLT (about 3 inches from the bottom -- so midway or so for a typical higher-grav 5 gallon mash. Sticks out 2" into the mash.)

The HLT Ranco controls the 220V 5500W heating element.

The MLT Ranco monitors the MLT temp and controls the march pump for recirc.

I'm pumping and recirculating from HLT to MLT and using gravity to move from MLT to BK.

I've made 3 five gallon batches, but I think I'm overshooting my mash temps by a significant bit. There's a 21F degree difference between the HLT and the MLT and what looks to be a pretty standard 10F drop when I put in the grain.

So if I want to mash in @ 152, I set my HLT to 183F. After the HLT hits that temp, I move the liquor from the HLT to MLT (1.33 quarts/lb).

Okay, so for this example, I move 4 gallons of water. It hits the MLT at around 162F. I add the grain, stir, and the MLT temp drops to 152 on the nose within five minutes.

However, here's where I'm confused. Do most folks drop the HLT down now to, say, 173F (by adding water to the HLT and dropping the Ranco setpoint down about 10 degrees or so) and then recirculate the 152F mash through the coil in this slightly cooler water? If I leave the temp in the HLT @ 183, I notice even a few minutes of recirculation through the HEX shoots my wort way up -- and then as it gradually recircs in the MLT, my mash temp shoots up to 158F or so. It drops a few degrees every five minutes or so -- and then when it gets to 151F (my Ranco setpoint is at 152F) the march pump kicks back in and recirc happens. But then the same thing happens. The recirculated wort heats up quick, hits my MLT, and my mash temp spikes.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on the process here. I'm installing an inline analog thermometer on the HEX output (installing it via quick-disconnects right before the silicone tubing enters the MLT). This, I gather, is the temperature I want to watch -- in addition to watching the overall mash temp. My mash will never go above the temp in this HEX-out probe, so somehow I want to make sure the water exiting this probe is at my mash temp, correct? So if I want 152F, I want to make sure the HEX-out temp is 152F? If it goes *above* 152F -- then I know I've got to turn down the HLT Ranco (and adding a bit of cold water).

If my mash falls to, say, 150F, then recirc'ing this HEX-out water at 152F will eventually bring it back up to 152F? Or do I want my HEX-out a few -- maybe one or two -- degrees higher
in order to bring up the mash temp? (I'm confused about the physics here. Do I want slightly -- only slightly -- hotter water hitting my mash to bring up the temp? Or do I want exactly the temp I need to hit the mash?)

The first three batches I didn't use a HEX-out probe and was watching the temp of the mash only. I'm sensing that the recirc causes all sorts of temps in the mash -- hot toward the top from the recirc water moving down toward the cooler bottom. The inline HEX-out probe parts should be here next week, so for the next batches I'm going to use it -- but I wanted to get a handle on the methodology and process that folks are using with HERMS.

EDIT: Or -- do I just want to run the MLT pump continuously and simply watch the HEX-out temp and adjust the HLT accordingly? In other words, do I even need the Ranco in the MLT? Is the key variable the HEX-out temp? So long as that's what I want -- and the mash is recirc'ing for an hour or so and I'm at 152F (or whatever) at the hex-out -- then I'm set? Physics, the HLT Ranco, and my 220V element will make this essentially hands-off mashing with no temp worries once I stabilize the hex-out?

I think that most people only control the temp of the HLT and let the pump cycle continuously. Figure out what the difference between the HLT and MLT is and set the HLT temp accordingly.

Post too long warning! LOL

On my RIMS I have the output temp monitored/controlled which is usually 2-3F different than what I want to mash at. I think that is a fairly common number for most. I don't think the process is much different than HERMS. So if I want 152F mash I set for 154-155F. Pump on the whole time and walk away.

I pump constantly and have my A419 controller set at mash temp with a 12deg differential.. so my HLT is at around 166 and mashing at 154,,measuring in the mash.
I ramp up rather than down starting at 148 or so ..
remember if you don't pump all the time the grist in the HEX gets hotter than your set point..
HERMS coil is 30ft 1/2 copper in a 13.8gal HLT, gas and 1500w Elt elmt.

I ramp up rather than down starting at 148 or so ..

You ramp up the HLT starting at 148? Or you figure 148 is your initial target mash temp, add your differential (+12F) and then set the HLT at 160 and ramp up HLT from that 160F point? (And then measure your mash from the probe in the mash? The differential will never change, right?)

I try for 148 mash in temp using around 168 strike water,, then let the HERMS raise temp to desired and hold it there,, I found it takes around 15 to 18 deg f hotter HLT water, than actually mash temp in my sys. that's why I have to pump the whole time if I turn off the pump, the grist in the HERMS coil will go above 160 not good..
then to mash out I fire up the burner and keep pump until I hit 165f, then off to batch sparge land

Latest posts

Back