HERMS Plumbing Schematic and Workflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to build out a brewery using three keggles using the herms system. Attached is the schematic of the plumbing diagram I have created for the system, below is the workflow I will be using to brew. Please critique and make suggestions. I have been an extract brewer and this is my first foray into all grain. I plan on starting with 5gal batches to get to know the system and general all-grain brewing, but plan on stepping up to 10gal batches as soon as I am comfortable. I want to build this thing out right the first time, so don't hold back. FYI, I plan on using 1/2" s/s hard piping for the plumbing with all s/s fittings/valves. The HERMS system will use a PID to control an electrically actuated 3 way ball valve to recirculate wort through/around a heat exchanger in the HLT. Batch sparge at end of mash.

I will sanitize the system prior to brewing.

Workflow:
1. Heat mash water in HLT, heat.
2. Transfer mash water to MLT.
3. Add grain bill to MLT.
4. Fill HLT with strike water, heat to 190F.
5. Set PID for mash schedule, recirculate with PID controlling heat exchanger/bypass valve.
6. Mashout with strike water HLT > MLT.
7. Transfer first runnings from MLT > BK.
8. Add sparge water to HLT, heat to 170F.
9. Transfer sparge water to MLT.
10. Transfer wort to BK.
11. Repeat 8 to 10.
12. Connect CO2 to port @ MLT, clear line to BK.
13. Boil work, add hops/adjuncts, ect...
14. Add ice/water to HLT (now a CLT, i guess).
15. Recirculate ice water through plate chiller.
16. Gravity drain wort from BK through hop rocket and plate chiller, into primary fermenter.
17. Aerate, pitch yeast, etc...
18. Heat water in HLT, add PBW cleaner.
19. Recirculate cleaner through HLT, heat exchanger, plate chiller.
20. Empty spent grain from MLT.
21. Transfer cleaner to MLT.
22. Recirculate cleaner through heat exchanger, MLT.
23. Transfer cleaner to BK.
24. Recirculate cleaner through hop rocket, plate chiller, BK.
25. Pump cleaner to drain.

Am I missing anything on the plumbing? How about the workflow? I think I have my bases covered, but I want to be as close to 100% before I build it out.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, etc.

Josh

HERMS Plumbing Schematic.jpg

One more question. Is there a "standard" for stainless beer line size? I am thinking about piping everything with 1/2" sch40 stainless. Is this okay or do I need to go larger, like 1"? I will be using Tri clover fittings at the keggles so that I can remove them. I was looking at the 1/2" fittings at jmesanitary.com. Also is 304 okay? Thanks for the input!

If you have a plate chiller you don't need a large container full of water to keep your wort at temperature.
A plate chiller is a nick name for a heat exchanger, you can use it to heat just as well as you can to cool. Big savings if you think about it. Same thing with a counter flow chiller.
On my last rig I used the CFC for both purposes, it took up less space and worked excellent.

But..... I wouldn't put wort from my mash through a plate exchanger. Even if you pre-vorlauf, I wouldn't trust it to not send bits of mash through. Screw that. Well, the other issue is the need to run two pumps for the full mash.

Bobby, good point about the mash particles. I was already reposing the system in my head. As for the pumps, I am good with only one per my original idea, or am I missing something?

Thanks for looking at this guys. Your help is much appreciated.

5.- so you are trying to control the temperature of the circulating wort by sending a varying percent of the flow thru the HLT coil while letting the remaining % bypass?
you are going to be denaturing all of the enzymes in the wort flowing thru the 190 degree coil... its much better to vary the temperature of the HLT itself than this method.

you also want to add water to grain, and not grain to water as you will asking for dough balls.

It won't be a portion. Either all of the wort will go through the exchanger or all of it will bypass. What temp should I set my hlt at to avoid any problems?

Thanks!

It won't be a portion. Either all of the wort will go through the exchanger or all of it will bypass. What temp should I set my hlt at to avoid any problems?

Thanks!

That's a great question. The answer is: it's dependent on kettle size, water volume, heat dissipation, HERMS coils size, flow rate, burner size and BTU output, and, and....

You'll just have to experiment.

Another question regarding the plumbing. I plan on using ss hard piping. Is there a "standard" diameter to use? Most of the tri-clover stuff seems to be 1", while most fittings are 1/2". I will be using a few tri-clovers at the keggle connections so that I can easily take them out if I need to. I will use regular fittings for the other bends, tee's, etc. Also, I am planning on just using schedule 40, threaded pipe/fittings. Is this okay, or do they make solder fittings for ss? I figure solder would probably be better from a sanitary point of view.

Was hoping for some help here, just had a frame custom built. Followed some plans I found for a HERMS style system. Need to run the gas lines and don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a great plan. I like the idea of blowing out the coil by using CO2. I'll be watching.
I also like the 3 way valves. Where are you getting your valves from?
Good luck on your build.

Hi all,

14. Add ice/water to HLT (now a CLT, i guess).
15. Recirculate ice water through plate chiller.

Josh

I stared at this drawing for awhile and for the life of me can't figure out your plumbing for recirculating through the chiller. Can you help me out on this? I'm just not seeing a path that utilizes a pump. Thanks

Hi,

if of any helps, this is my current building HERMS system, with 2 pumps and motorized valves. I've spent some time to find the right flows in my setup.

phase1.002.png

If you need to see all the phases take a look at this thread.

gm

Back