HERMS Heat Exchanger Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbrew82

Reaction score
This is the Heat exchanger that I built. I used 6" stainless pipe for the body, 3/8 soft copper for the coil. I bent the coil around a 4" PVC pipe. I using 1500 watt heating for the heating source. I am working on top that will have a motor for agitating the water. I have a small stepper motor that would be really overkill and cool.
millshot.jpg

Picture_0393.jpg

Picture_0451.jpg

Picture_0342.jpg

Picture_0394.jpg

Picture_0401.jpg

Wow, that is probably the nicest heat exchanger I've ever seen. Great work. I would say to not forget the insulation, but it would be a shame to cover it up.

I bought the bcs-460 a couple of months back. I'm going to be using it to control the Heat exchanger. Right now it's only running my keg frig.

Yeah, this makes my heat stick & 2 gal Igloo look pretty damn crappy.

Nice work, drewbrew. With those mad welding skills I expect you'll be shaming Yuri in no time. :D

man, i might just have to invite myself down to des moines to come see that thing in action! great job.

Thanks for the complements, I worked really hard on the build. As for agitating the water, I'm guessing it will somewhat act like an immersion chiller. Where you get more efficiency by stirring the wort when cooling. On the other hand I am only trying to maintain the temp or change by only 40 degree's. I am going to try without first and mix by hand to see if there is a difference.

Back