HERMS coil mounting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Ok, HERMS coil through the side of the HLT leaves no loose equipment banging around, and it's easier to drain it when I'm done. Alternatively mounting it through the lid lets you use it as an immersion chiller, but is harder to drain out after use. I'm trying to figure out what's best for me, but I'd like to know what y'all do?

Did you put just one valve on it or two? Two seems excessive, but I've seen it before.

If you feed it from the bottom, as I do, you need a way to close off the output so you can disconnect the feed without the coil draining onto the floor. The closed output creates a vacuum, preventing it from draining. That could be from a valve on the output, but since I feed the output through an autosparge I rely on having the autosparge closed to seal the top. On the input, I rely on the valve that is mounted to the March pump. Thus, I have no valves directly on the coil.

hermsinout.jpg

Last edited:
Back