HERMS build

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kevy

Reaction score
So parts are slowly coming in.
im following the Mike Skril plan
I’m going to try to post along the way. It will take some time as I’m not a rich man.
will update
5036E0BA-F4F8-4F7B-949E-189BFEF58AD8.jpeg

OP
K

kevy

Reaction score
The stimulus check tho. It’s on the way!

OP
K

kevy

Reaction score
Anyone else follow his plans?

Jeremy W

Reaction score
Hi, yes I think I followed the same plans and everything worked great! I will say that I bounced back and forth between his plans and Kal's at Electric Brewery, just to see if there was a different way of doing a specific thing. After obtaining all of the parts it took me a couple full days of installation/wiring. With anything electrical, the one thing I'd recommend is checking continuity throughout the installation. Here are some pics of the panel and my setup in action yesterday.

Inside complete:
tempImagelLc6at.jpg

Outside complete:
tempImageuSH9bM.jpg

I strayed from his plans a bit on the pump indicator lights and alarm switches. You'll also see that for the mash temps I used the Auber SYL-2802B. I went this route because I didn't want another PID controller just to display the temperature of the mash and I really liked the idea of knowing what the temp is in and out of the HERMS coil (overkill? maybe. but whatever! :) ). I also used the Auber EZ Boil Controllers for the HLT and BK, so far they have been very easy to use.

Here is the system in action yesterday:

tempImageuijBGo.jpg

Happy wiring!

OP
K

kevy

Reaction score
Hi, yes I think I followed the same plans and everything worked great! I will say that I bounced back and forth between his plans and Kal's at Electric Brewery, just to see if there was a different way of doing a specific thing. After obtaining all of the parts it took me a couple full days of installation/wiring. With anything electrical, the one thing I'd recommend is checking continuity throughout the installation. Here are some pics of the panel and my setup in action yesterday.

Inside complete:
View attachment 712483

Outside complete:
View attachment 712484

I strayed from his plans a bit on the pump indicator lights and alarm switches. You'll also see that for the mash temps I used the Auber SYL-2802B. I went this route because I didn't want another PID controller just to display the temperature of the mash and I really liked the idea of knowing what the temp is in and out of the HERMS coil (overkill? maybe. but whatever! :) ). I also used the Auber EZ Boil Controllers for the HLT and BK, so far they have been very easy to use.

Here is the system in action yesterday:

View attachment 712485
Happy wiring!
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Your wiring is pretty clean. I’m hoping to avoid a tangled mess Well see

OP
K

kevy

Reaction score
D75205E3-70EA-431B-AC28-812B777C6F58.jpeg
49AD5726-96DB-439A-B3C3-9E4433D9DA42.jpeg

finally getting some time here and there to start laying it out and cutting the box.

Jeremy W

Reaction score
Nice! Looking good. When I was building my panel, I started off using my dremel and quickly used up the cutoff wheel. Ended up using a jigsaw for most of the straight cuts instead.

OP
K

kevy

Reaction score
Nice! Looking good. When I was building my panel, I started off using my dremel and quickly used up the cutoff wheel. Ended up using a jigsaw for most of the straight cuts instead.
Yep. I’m just using the dremel to get the cut on the line then jigsaw the rest.
those little cutoff wheels don’t last long