Hermaphroditic nugget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marms

Reaction score
So I was walking through my hop yard today and noticed what seems to be male seed pods on my first year nugget. its producing hop cones too so i know its female as well. my question is will it be a full out female next year? and im guessing cut the male portions off correct? heres a pic

P1010076.jpg

thanks

marms

Generally this is a stress response. The gender of the plant hasn't changed, but under stress the female plant will produce some male flowers. Cut the male flowers off so you don't get seeds in the cones this year. It will be fine next year.

Generally this is a stress response. The gender of the plant hasn't changed, but under stress the female plant will produce some male flowers. Cut the male flowers off so you don't get seeds in the cones this year. It will be fine next year.

I want to thank you for answering this question in so many threads. My 2nd yr 25' Cascade started sprouting some male flowers in this recent hot stretch (if you're in OR, you know the one).

You really put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Back