Here's to Big Mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPostman

Reaction score
Well, here's to screwing up about $150 in beer and wasting about 3 months...

I had a Russian Imperial Stout I brewed (partial mash) a few months ago. Threw in some maple syrup and cinnamon in the wort. Brewing went amazing; I expected a great body and I knew I'd reached the highest OG possible for the mix, 1.093) Fermentation seemed to go well, things smelled well, until today...

I also I had belgian amber ale I'd brewed a few weeks back. Brewing went awfully. I got distracted and had a boilover, and even with a quick recovery I knew I'd lost a good amount of proteins and sugars I'd converted during the partial mash. After finishing brew and adding water to make 5 gallons, I had an OG of 1.036 when I expected one of about 1.076, so I added about 2 lbs of sugar which brought the OG up to 1.074. At this point, I had already given up having the beer I'd set out to create. Fermentation popped along quite nicely, and I apparently was going to settle for about 1.020. I decided I'd use this beer for science, so I pasteurized about 4 gallons of peaches, 2 pounds of apples, and 3 lemon peels and racked on top of them.

Both of my beers smell hot. For my RIS I pitched 2 packs of wyeast 1056 (I know, I should have made a starter, but I was hit with some schedule problems and was forced to do what I thought would make up for my lack of time). For my Belgian Failed Ale I pitched one pack of wyeast 1272. Since both smell hot I assume, even though I've been fermenting it in my apartment with windows open and have fermented other beers during hotter times without fermentation problems, that I have fermented them at too high of temperatures. I really thought I would have the RIS taken care of with two packs of yeast, and I was greatly saddened today when I racked it to secondary and it smelled so goddamn hot. I threw in another 12 oz of maple syrup because hey, why not? For the Belgian, I really don't know. It is what it is, ad I've done all I can.

So, for now, I'm drinking my first good brew, a heavily-hopped IPA and wondering what to do next. Do I try one of the styles again, or do I accept the mistakes and try something else? My plans for a next brew were a British style pub ale or doing another IPA. Either way, it's a bum night around here.

Here's to failed brews, big mistakes, and learning from them, all in humility and for the sake of better beer. And here's to this community for keeping me educated enough to make it this far without any big hang ups!
:mug:

Patience is a virtue mate... Or some **** like that, anyway my first stout was only 6.2% and its still not ready after six month in the bottle an RIS is probably gonna take atleast that long to come good IMO. Any one more experienced with RIS's wanna reassure the posty...

A couple things...

I brewed an RIS in October and bottled it in December. A week from Christmas. I popped one open a month ago and it was still hot. That beer came in at 1.091 and stopped at 1.022. 9.9%. Its going to be awhile before your RIS is ready. I'm hoping for a Fall opening on mine. BTW, 2 packs of US-05 worked fine for me. Point being, a big beer is going to be hot for awhile.

Also, with all the simple sugars that you threw in I would think that there might be a chance of some side effects on that in regards to off flavors. Not too educated on this topic, perhaps someone else will chime in with some info

I have never had a beer smell good to me in the fermenter, to me they all smell sour and boozy, not sure what you mean by hot... I don't know about your belgian amber with the gravity problems, but I don't see any problems at all with your RIS. I've severely underpitched Russian imperial stouts before (one pack of dry US-05 for a 1.098 5g batch) and they came out great. 2 packs of Wyeast shouldn't have been underpitching much at all and I wouldn't really worry about your ferm temp unless it was the middle of summer and it got above 75ish. Give it time to ferment what you added and give it some time in bottles, I don't see any problems at all. Probably smelled hot because you're smelling a mix of ethanol and CO2, the beer isn't cooled or carbonated yet so don't take too much from that...

ChessRockwell brought up another point: What excatly were your fermenting temps?

At 1.093 OG fermentation could get fairly hot. My RIS fermented at 60 degrees and I still about had a blow off.

Also, for the Belgian, I agree that you didnt make the beer that you set out to make. Damn boilovers.

What do you mean by smelling hot? Did you even taste it?
I poured myself a small glass, and even after cooling it the predominant taste seemed to be 'fusel'. The hopefully part of my brain really hopes aging, plus cooling and carbonation will help mute the flavor in turn for some delicious stoutiness. I've never done a beer quite that big (my highest abv has been 7 flat).

Fermenting temps, ambient, were between 58 and 68. I know temps in the bucket can be 10 degrees higher, but I thought I had that taken care of. In fact, I'd noticed both beers slowed fermenting earlier than my previous batches so I thought I had the room too cold, if only by 5-7 degrees.

I poured myself a small glass, and even after cooling it the predominant taste seemed to be 'fusel'. The hopefully part of my brain really hopes aging, plus cooling and carbonation will help mute the flavor in turn for some delicious stoutiness. I've never done a beer quite that big (my highest abv has been 7 flat).

Fermenting temps, ambient, were between 58 and 68. I know temps in the bucket can be 10 degrees higher, but I thought I had that taken care of. In fact, I'd noticed both beers slowed fermenting earlier than my previous batches so I thought I had the room too cold, if only by 5-7 degrees.

10 degrees ambient is quite a bit.

However, RDWHAHB and let the beers carbonate and find out how it went then. Could be an awesome beer that you hope to recreate!

Back