Hereford & Hops, Wausau, WI- Anyone been?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf

Reaction score
We're going up to Wausau for a couple days (Sunday-Tuesday). It's a less than happy occassion (Grandma's funeral), but I thought we could at least have one good night while we're there.
Saw this Hereford & Hops brewpub, anyone been there? ANy reviews? Or anyplace else in the area we should go?
Not sure who else on the board may be from that area.

Hmm, the only thing I know about Wausau is that I landed a plane there once, and I helped on a streetlighting job there for about a week. You could go a couple hours west of there and tour Leinie's in Chippewa Falls. Or go 30 minutes south and tour Point Brewery in Stevens Point.....I've done both- they're both good tours.

I second the Point Tour. It is the 2nd oldest American Brewery.

Check out Central Waters Brewery. They are a small operation, but thier beers are outstanding. Tour would be very informal (if the guys felt like it and it wasn't bottling day).

olllllo said:
I second the Point Tour. It is the 2nd oldest American Brewery.

Close. When I was there last fall they said they were the fifth oldest continuously-run (i.e. not shut down during Prohibition) brewery. The tour guide told me the other four but I don't remember them all. Yeungling is one, and maybe Miller.

Hereford & Hops is in a nice new building. The dinner menu is pretty expensive, but nice IIRC. They have the big charcoal grills where you can grill your own steaks if you want. I know they have a website, and you could see their menu on it. http://www.herefordandhops.com/WI_Main.aspx

Their beer is pretty good- I've had a few there, but none since last summer. When we go to Wausau, that's about all there is in the way of brewpubs.

Another kind of neat place is Wausau Mine Company. It's a restaurant set up to be like you're inside a mine. Kind of claustrophobic, but decent pub style food. They are not a brewpub, but have some decent beer on tap. They have pizza and sandwiches and the like. Be advised, though- they cover EVERYTHING with cheese. I don't like cheese, so I ordered meat ravioli. It came with about a pound of melted cheese on it. It was inedible to me, so they brought me a sandwich (without cheese). My daughter loves the place.

If I think of something else that you guys might like (and I'll ask Tara when she gets home of some of the places she likes), I'll post more. I assume you'll be taking your daughter wherever you go to eat, right?

And, sorry about your loss. It's hard to lose a family member.

Bernie Brewer said:
Close. When I was there last fall they said they were the fifth oldest continuously-run (i.e. not shut down during Prohibition) brewery. The tour guide told me the other four but I don't remember them all. Yeungling is one, and maybe Miller.

You are correct.
http://www.pointbeer.com/history.php

Except I forgot to add, "that I know of.":D

Trivia:

This street was named after my Great Grandfather. He owned a river resort and ran an ice house.

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Wausau,+WI,+fullmer+st&layer=&sll=44.916985,-89.608483&sspn=0.022671,0.051842&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=44.92212,-89.612281&spn=0.011334,0.025921&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr[/ame]

(sigh) There is a McDonalds there now.

I lived about 40 min from Hereford & Hops, and been there once---good food.... but it sucked cause I was to young to drink..!! o well atleast they let me eat....

I also lived and drove by the Leinie's brewery about a 1000 times and again ...to young.... good thing my fam. still lives there! My brothers and friends have been to the Leinie's place and they said the tour was really good,... but Point would be a good choice I would think aswell....wisconsin sure likes there beer...even if its that Miller water!

Thanks for the replies. I tihnk we'll definitley check outHereford and Hops, and the Point brewery if we have time. We did the Leiny's tour a couple years ago and it was a good time; the two of us got a personalized tour.
It'll depend on how much time our daughter gets to spend with Grandma and Grandpa, giving us our freedom :)

Hereford and Hops was a winner! OUr hotel unded up being about two blocks away so we went there for dinner the first night, very good food (though a little pricey, it's the most upscale Brewpub I've seen) and the Dry Stout they had on Cask was excellent. Went great with the Prime Rib sandwich. Also the whole place is non-smoking, which is nice when travelling with a toddler. We intended to return to try more brews but the little one didn't cooperate with that idea the first night. Then the second night we managed to sneak away a little after nine and they were already closed!
Yooper: thanks for the condolences, it was sad but not at all unexpected, everyone had a chance to say goodbye in the last week.
Also I kept an eye out but didn't see or hear anything about the Mine Co. you mentioned, but we didn't look real hard since our time ended up being limited.

I'm glad you liked Hereford & Hops. It's a nice place. Like you said, a bit pricey but a good menu and service. It's funny they were closed at 9:00 PM, though. We try to at least grab a beer there when we're in the area, and sometimes get a couple to go!

Bump. :) Just an update but Hereford & Hops has since closed. I always heard it was nice building but it had alot of negative surrounding it. Actually Great Dane Brewery of Madison has since gone there. I don't frequent Wausau as much anymore as in the Green Bay area. There is supposed to be another good brewpub closer to downtown Wausau now, Red Eye Brewpub or something.

I also second Wausau Mine, its really good pizza and cheese fries. They just built a new location near the old "mine". Well its probably a couple years old already. Great now I want Wausau Mine...

Wow, a 5 1/2 year old thread resurrection...! Yes Great Dane is where H&H used to be. The beers are good and the building is gorgeous. I have to admit that I do like Red Eye better, though.

I've yet to go to that Red Eye. I'll have to check that out if I ever get to Wausau anytime soon.

I was never at the H&H in Wausau but hit the location in Escanaba every summer on vacation. Beers are pretty good; their standards are good but not mind blowing. I chatted with their brewer for half an hour or so and we talked a little shop, then he busted out some of his lavender braggot (mmm!) and an aged cherry stout (not my favorite style normally, but excellent in this case). They had a diacetyl problem for a while because they were trying to brew too fast.

The last few years they've tried to expand their beer list and while some are better than others (eye of the beholder and all that) they are decent craftsmen. I'd say it's worth a trip there.

As far as Great Dane in Wausau, the location in Madison is fun but busy on the weekend. Their beers are all pretty good but they expanded to brew a few wonderful Belgian styles lately that I really liked (esp. the Midwestvlereten).

Trivia:

This street was named after my Great Grandfather. He owned a river resort and ran an ice house.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...281&spn=0.011334,0.025921&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr

(sigh) There is a McDonalds there now.

Sorry to say, that McDonalds closed years before 2007 even. It's a Oriental place now.

Your marker is really close to a "Gentleman's Club" called Grand Daddy's though.

Hereford and Hops has been bought by "The Great Dane" chain out of Madison. The brewer is currently Dan Weber. I really enjoy the whole experience there.

Good beer and food. Worth the trip.

Saturday nights are kind of a younger generation/dance deal. I'm a 'tidge old for that.

Back