Here we go again - DIY chiller/trunk line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSounds

Reaction score
There's actually a question at the bottom if you want to skip the long version...

We're moved into the new house, and it's time to get going on a draught system. The kegerator is in the basement, almost exactly under the kitchen sink upstairs. The other day, a buddy and I were standing in the kitchen having a beer, and talking about tap beer upstairs. He looks at the sink, and says "So do you use that soap dispenser?"
We have a kitchen faucet with the sprayer built into the neck. So there is no sprayer in that "other" hole in the sink. The faucet came with a soap dispenser, just to fill the hole. So the wheels start turning, and I'm thinking this is the perfect location for a tap!

I successfully built a trunk line for a DIY tap project 2 houses ago, and I'm looking for a glycol cooled cobra tower. In the mean time, I have some parts laying around:

Tower (I have yet to find one of these)
Arctica 1/3 HP chiller, capable of going down to 32 degrees.
Procon 100 GPM carbonator pump with 1/4 HP motor - It's overkill, but it's designed to run all the time.

So the plan is to build a 2-3 product trunk with glycol send and return from the kegerator in the basement to the kitchen, where I will install a 2 or 3 tap glycol cooled tower. I'll use the chiller with the carbonator pump to circulate the glycol in the system, at 32 degrees.

The question is this:
100PSI is way too high for glycol pressure. How would I regulate the pressure on the output of the glycol pump into the trunk? Or should I replace the pump with something else - And what would that be? I have a March pump laying around, but I'd be afraid of both temperature and head pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
" 100psi" or "100 gpm" is too much "glycol pressure"?
Install a regulator on the output of your pump, and divert the excess back to your glycol reservoir, if you want to use the equipment you have.

And I concur with ya' on the potential March pump issues.

Watching your build! :mug:

[...]The other day, a buddy and I were standing in the kitchen having a beer, and talking about tap beer upstairs. He looks at the sink, and says "So do you use that soap dispenser?"
We have a kitchen faucet with the sprayer built into the neck. So there is no sprayer in that "other" hole in the sink. The faucet came with a soap dispenser, just to fill the hole. So the wheels start turning, and I'm thinking this is the perfect location for a tap!
[...]

Um....Too hill-billy.

Cheers! ;)

Um....Too hill-billy.

Cheers! ;)

You can call it what you want, but you can't deny it's a cool idea!
:mug:

Just working out the logistics, and the WAF...

Anyone have a good idea for a very narrow tap tower that I can get past the wife? She's not digging the cobra tap - It's going to be too tall

Back