Here are my ingredients. Any ideas for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
I want to make a partial mash stout, but I'm not exactly sure of some of the amounts that I should use for some of the grains. I picked up some smoked malt, and I'm really not sure how much to use for a slightly smoked flavor. I've never even had a smoked beer, but I would like to try one. Should I even use any? Is it an acquired taste?

Anyways, here is a list of my available ingredients...

Grains and adjuncts:
2 LBS American 2-row
1 LB US crystal 120 L
1 LB Smoked malt
1 LB flaked oats
1 LB flaked rice
1 LB black patent
8 oz chocolate rye
8 oz cara wheat
6 oz Belgian caramunich
12 oz victory malt

Other:
6.6 LBS hopped LME
3.0 LBS Light LME
Lots of warrior, simcoe, centennial, newport, amarillo, and cascade hops.

(These are just what I have on hand. I do not want to combine everything listed. I could possibly go and pick up additional ingredients if needed).

As for the style, I'm not too sure. I would like something that has around 6-10 percent ABV. I would also like suggestions for any other style of beer that may come to mind, even if it's not a stout.

I'll probably be brewing something with this tomorrow, so any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My initial reaction is that recipe looks very busy. That's an awful lot of different kinds of malt! Too many competing flavors can lead to a muddy tasting beer.

Also, a stout really needs roasted barley (as opposed to black patent malt) to get that distinctive roasty stout flavor. Black malt will make you a dark beer, but really more of a porter than a stout. And a full pound of black malt is pushing it: that stuff can get nastily astringent if you use too much.

As a starting point, I would simplify your malt bill down to just:

2 LBS American 2-row
1 LB US crystal 120 L
1 LB flaked oats
8 oz black patent
8 oz chocolate rye

And then add DME to bulk it up to whatever starting gravity you are going for. That'll give you a nice dark porter as a starting poing.

If you want some smoke flavor (which is definitely an acquired taste in beer: personally I like it a lot but many people absolutely hate it), also include the pound of smoked malt, which will produce a smoked porter.

If you really want to make a stout as opposed to a porter, drop the black patent altogether, and replace it with a pound of roasted barley, which will give you an oatmeal stout.

I wouldn't bother with the flaked rice, cara wheat, caramunich, or victory at all for this.

If you really want to make a stout as opposed to a porter, drop the black patent altogether, and replace it with a pound of roasted barley, which will give you an oatmeal stout.

I'd have to go with Shawn on this one. Oatmeal stouts are great.

Sorry if I did not make it clear, but the ingredients listed are not a recipe. I was listing my available ingredients, and I hope to make a recipe out of the ingredients. So, roasted barley is pretty essential to a stout? How much should I go pick up?

I would sub out the chocolate rye for just 340L chocolate malt, and throw in 6-8 oz. of the roasted barley. Gives it that nice chewy dark flavor,

Here is my stab at a recipe for you with what you have on hand. Tried to lean toward an American Stout.
SG around 1.069
SRM around 38
IBU's around 55

6.6# Hopped LME
2.0# American 2 row
0.25# Chocolate Rye
0.25# Flaked Oats
0.50# Black Patent
1.0# Crystal 120L

0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 60
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 20
0.50 oz. Cascade @ 10

Irish moss @ 15

Safale S-04, Nottingham or Windsor yeast

Thanks for the ideas guys! Depending on what I decide to do, this will be my first stout/ porter that is not a kit.

I am debating on weather or not to go pick up some roasted barley, or go with the idea of a smoked porter. Keep the ideas coming, and thanks again!

With only a single pound of Rauchmalt, you won't get any smoke character. For it to be prominent but not be overpowering, it really needs to be nearly 50% of the grainbill.

From what I've read (I've yet to try a smoked beer myself) the intensity of smoked malt varies a lot over time. The longer it sits on the shelf, the less smoke flavor it will impart. So it can be kind of tricky to predict how much you need.

Back