Hemp beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopnasty

Reaction score
Just brewed a small batch hemp beer Saturday....anybody ever do a hemp brew? Oh and it's gluten free too

Basically a waste of "hemp" if you are just throwing into the boil, if I understand the chemistry correctly.

If my chemistry is correct Tetrahydrocannabinol is alcohol soluble. I imagine if it was soaked in a strong alcohol(such as vodka) for sterilization of the hemp*. The Tetrahydrocannabinol would create a solution with the alcohol and both could be added near the end of the fermentation process.

Dry "hop"? I hope the mods don't shut this one down. It is legal in one form or another in many, many states.

THC is alcohol soluble. Your best extraction method is done high proof alcohol. I've ground and dissolved "hemp" in a small amount of grain alcohol before and it makes for an awesome mix drink.

However, using enough hemp for a 5 gal batch would be crazy expensive.

With all that said, I think your best bet would be to grind and soak the hemp in grain alcohol for a few days, strain, and add that mixture to a batch at bottling/kegging.

I've done it. Substituted half of my hop additions. Worked better than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back