Helps with fermenting temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
I have just pitched an 1.07 OG wort on a yeast cake from my last brew and am having problems with my temperature.

I am using WLP500 Trappest Ale Yeast., and I think it recommended temperature is 20 to 24 degrees Celsius.

My normal spot from my fermenter is holding a temperature of 24 to 26 degrees Celsius, more like 26. I have another spot where I have a seconder running that is holding 18 to 19 degrees Celsius.

Should I leave my brew at 24 to 26 or should I move it to the lower 18 degrees Celsius?

I know high temperatures can produce bad flavours, and have the time to extend the fermentation . So should I move it or leave it alone?

Thanks

Move it or make a swamp cooler (fermenter in large bin of water with ice or frozen bottles)! Your secondary will do fine at the higher temperatures, you need to get that fermenter cooler while there is still time, if you do not want strong ester production.

That yeast will do fine at 65F, but I think you will have a hard time even getting it that low.

Back