Help???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kliffyboy

Reaction score
So I just set up all my new all grain equipment. This is something I have been really wanting to do for a very long time. I am sitting here in a mental loophole completely confused because after watching numerous videos and reading numerous recipes, I now realize I dont understand them. Can someone PLEASE simplify the Mash/Sparge calculations? I have tried numerous calculators, and they're just not making sense. Why no reciped give you the amound og mash water needed/sparge..... im having such a hard time understanding and I really dont want to lose interest let alone ruin a batch over something that should be simple and maybe I am just not grasping??

Thanks!

My advice is to go online and use one of the online brewing tools. I use Brewfather, and It has done well by me. I think the general rule is 1.25 quarts of water to every pound of grain in the mash. Then, depending on how much you want to end up with, you sparge with enough to have maybe a gallon or so over. So, for me, my last brew day was 5.25 gallons for the mash, 3.3 gallons for the sparge. I ended up with just over 7 gallons in the boil, and when all was said and done I ended up just a small bit over the 5 gallons I needed in the fermenter.

Now, take what I just said with a grain of salt, as I am very new to all of this and I am still learning. But, that is what I seem to be using.

Yea so I got the zyborg?? Its an all in one, similar to the brewzilla or anvil foundry.

My advice is to go online and use one of the online brewing tools. I use Brewfather, and It has done well by me. I think the general rule is 1.25 quarts of water to every pound of grain in the mash. Then, depending on how much you want to end up with, you sparge with enough to have maybe a gallon or so over. So, for me, my last brew day was 5.25 gallons for the mash, 3.3 gallons for the sparge. I ended up with just over 7 gallons in the boil, and when all was said and done I ended up just a small bit over the 5 gallons I needed in the fermenter.

Now, take what I just said with a grain of salt, as I am very new to all of this and I am still learning. But, that is what I seem to be using.
This is awesome, thanks for the help!

Yea so I got the zyborg?? Its an all in one, similar to the brewzilla or anvil foundry.

I keep it pretty simple for my 35L Brewzilla and get good results. I mash with 5 gallons and sparge with 1-1.5 gallons. This will typically get me to around a 80% brew house efficiency (essentially how much sugars you extract from the grain).

Some people do full volume mashes and don't sparge at all to keep it easy.

What's important is that you start your boil with the correct volume of wort. For a one hour boil, I will typically boil off around 0.5-0.6 gallons in my system. You'll have to figure out what your boil off rate is too so you finish your boil with the correct volume according to your recipe. The ZyBord (like that name) looks to have a wider opening so it will likely boil off more wort during the boil compared to the Brewzilla.

You can always add more water at the end of a boil but if you add to much you'll have to boil for longer to hit the correct finishing volume.

That looks like an all in one system and is easiest to use as a no sparge. You can use any of the brew software like brewers friend to calculate the total amount of water needed for your grain bill. The recipe should give you mash schedule ( temp and times) which you enter into the zyborg. The zyborg will run the mash and recirculate automatically. when done let the basket drain and go onto the boil.

I keep it pretty simple for my 35L Brewzilla and get good results. I mash with 5 gallons and sparge with 1-1.5 gallons. This will typically get me to around a 80% brew house efficiency (essentially how much sugars you extract from the grain).

Some people do full volume mashes and don't sparge at all to keep it easy.

What's important is that you start your boil with the correct volume of wort. For a one hour boil, I will typically boil off around 0.5-0.6 gallons in my system. You'll have to figure out what your boil off rate is too so you finish your boil with the correct volume according to your recipe. The ZyBord (like that name) looks to have a wider opening so it will likely boil off more wort during the boil compared to the Brewzilla.

You can always add more water at the end of a boil but if you add to much you'll have to boil for longer to hit the correct finishing volume.
Super helpful thank you!

That looks like an all in one system and is easiest to use as a no sparge. You can use any of the brew software like brewers friend to calculate the total amount of water needed for your grain bill. The recipe should give you mash schedule ( temp and times) which you enter into the zyborg. The zyborg will run the mash and recirculate automatically. when done let the basket drain and go onto the boil.
This is awesome, legit signe dup today, didnt think I would get this much help. Thanks to all!

I don’t own an all in one system so use this how you will.

There are many approaches to mash and sparge volumes which is why you’re seeing conflicting processes. Here are a few approaches from simplest to hardest. All will make beer.

Full volume mash, no sparge

Even split mash and sparge

Adjusting mash volume to meet a water (called liquor when mashing and sparging) to grain ratio.

Regardless, you need to figure out how much liquid your grains will absorb. Most calculators, even free online calculators, will give you a typical range. I like brewersfriend.com

I keep a log of all my brews, water, grains, efficiency ETC. I use different water ratios based on the beer type, or grain type. I calculate each brew individually then check with my dat base for confirmation. It helps to use one system. I use a BIAB and tend to use less overall water but your results may vary.

Do a few brews from recipe kits that give you the ingredients and follow their directions any you'll make good and decent beer. Keep notes on what you did and take SG readings along with water/wort/beer amounts and you'll start to understand better what those things your are asking about mean to you and what to do about them.

The mistake IMO would be not brewing a beer because you are overwhelmed with things that really won't keep your beer from being good. They matter more for brewing the same beer again and again getting the same resulting flavors and characteristics each time.

Latest posts

Back