Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot65

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I ordered a MR. Brew kit with Bewitched Ale and knew right off I had the home brew bug . So I stumble around and find this awesome site and start reading the beginner's forum next thing you know I've got on the inner webs and ordered some stuff.

Today the big brown truck brought a big brown box of the following :

3#-Rahr Row Malt crushed

2#-Belgian Pilsner Malt crushed

1- oz Amarillo Hop Pellets

1- oz Cascade Hop Pellets

1-pkg Safale US-05 Ale yeast

1-pkg Safale S-04 Ale yeast

And some other needed supplies . So in my hast to get started will any combo of the above ingredients make something drinkable . Looking at a 3-gallon batch . I have done a lot of reading here and have a ton more to do .

Thanks in advance !

ok, want to make a blonde ale?

do you have a 5 gallon pot to do a BIAB?

we can do a 3 gallon Blonde with your ingredients and have hops left over

here goes

mash in a bag the 3 pounds of 2 row and 1 pound of the pilsner for 60 minutes at 151 4 gallons of water

put the rest of the milled grain in the freezer to keep it fresh till next brew, have a food saver?

pot when you mash out, rinse and get into your boil pot a total of 4 gallons
you are going want about 3.25 in the fermenter

ok the boil, 60 minutes ata good roil, not to agrresive that will carmelize the grain, just a good roil

at the beginning you want .25 of the amarillo hops
at 15 minutes left add the irish moss or whirlflock
at 10 minutes left drop in .25 oz of the cascade

flame out at 60 minutes and cool down, I do not know your equipment

have the chico ready, that is the s 05, if you can make a starter do that the day before, if not watch a re hydration video and do what is recommended

pitch the yeast when the temp of the wort is less than 80 degrees, preferably less than 70

set the carboy where it will not get over 65 degrees, chico goes off about 7 degrees over ambient

only thing worrying me is you have a 3 gallon carboy, is that 3 gallons or will do a 3 gallon batch? you need head room for the kruasen. bring back the water volumes I gave you by 1/2 gallon if the carboy is only 3 gallons

after that it is just waiting and watching

if the carboy is tight, set up a blow off tube instead of an airlock

It looks like a 3 gallon IPA grain/hop bill to me. Mash the 2-row and Pilsner grains for 60 minutes, start boiling the wort and add the Cascade as soon as the boil starts and boil for 60 minutes (30 minutes if you are in a hurry also works). Cool to low 60's and add on of the yeasts, either one will do this batch. I might only pitch half a packet but a full packet of yeast won't hurt.

Sell that 3 gallon carboy and buy a bucket fermenter. You need space for krausen and the carboy won't be big enough. In the future you'll likely want to do bigger batches anyway. If you want to keep the carboy it can make 3 gallons of cider, mead, or wine as these do not make a krausen.

After 10 days in the fermenter (without opening the lid to peek) pop open the lid and drop in the Amarillo hops and close it up. After 3 to 7 days you can bottle this up. Wait at least a week in the bottles before you sample. Head forming may take longer so the first one may not have much head.

It looks like a 3 gallon IPA grain/hop bill to me. Mash the 2-row and Pilsner grains for 60 minutes, start boiling the wort and add the Cascade as soon as the boil starts and boil for 60 minutes (30 minutes if you are in a hurry also works). Cool to low 60's and add on of the yeasts, either one will do this batch. I might only pitch half a packet but a full packet of yeast won't hurt.

Sell that 3 gallon carboy and buy a bucket fermenter. You need space for krausen and the carboy won't be big enough. In the future you'll likely want to do bigger batches anyway. If you want to keep the carboy it can make 3 gallons of cider, mead, or wine as these do not make a krausen.

After 10 days in the fermenter (without opening the lid to peek) pop open the lid and drop in the Amarillo hops and close it up. After 3 to 7 days you can bottle this up. Wait at least a week in the bottles before you sample. Head forming may take longer so the first one may not have much head.

Thanks ! Another option ! I know I will get the 5 gal set soon I just want to find something I really like before I brew 5 gallons of it .

Thanks ! Another option ! I know I will get the 5 gal set soon I just want to find something I really like before I brew 5 gallons of it .

Most of the bucket fermenters are 6 1/2 gallons so they leave room for the krausen on a 5 gallon batch (barely enough, sometimes not enough) but they work really well for a 2 to 3 gallon batch.

Just found out my "5"gallon pot is only 4 gallon lol nothing like being prepared ! So I steeped in two pots and I'm now boiling in the bigger pot.

Man did this turn out GREAT for my first all grain ! Great head on it slightly hoppy with a hint of spice . Will try this again for sure ! It is perfect for summer . Thanks bajaedition !

Back