Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlronan

Reaction score
Today I started my first batch and was really excited. I was getting ready to pitch and I forgot to chill my wort to below 70F. After pitching I realized my wort was too hot and took a temp reading at about 110F. My local homebrew supply store isn't open on weekends. How long will the batch last in a sealed container? What should I do?

Would run out in the am...and pick up some yeast. Surely you have a place that is opened on weekends within a short drive. There are many of the larger chain liquor stores that has some offerings for the homebrewer...perhaps even one you could get tonight. Locally we have a chain called Friar Tucks that has a limited amount of homewbrew supplies. I would guess your added yeast is pretty much dead...although from what I have read the kill temp is much higher around 140 ish...I have read 120 will severely damage yeast...but why take the chance.

110* F is not known to kill yeast, 140* F is the killer most always. Be patient, your beer may ferment like a house on fire, and it may taste like butterscotch, but in the end, it is still beer. Don't beat yourself up, all of us have done something similar at least once. Chalk it up to experience, and don't do it again if possible.

Well look on the bright side, a year from now you will look back and say "did I really pitch yeast at 110?" knowing that ferm temp is KEY to good beer

Having said that...cool that bad boy as much as possibly....as fast as possible!!

I second this. Stick in a fridge, surround with an ice bath, heck - throw some ice in the fermenter - I'd rather have a thinner tasting beer than something that tastes 'off' due to too hot a ferment.

Back