Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eightysixd

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch Of Blue Moon from AHS. I pitched the yeast on Saturday, and By Sunday it started bubbling. Only, it is at a very slow pace... about 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Is this normal for this...or ANY kind of beer? i am new to the brewing process, but this is my 4th batch and the rest have all bubbled vigerously.

You are going to get a lecture on airlock activity not being a good indicator of fermentation.

If it is bubbling, you're on track.

You are going to get a lecture on airlock activity not being a good indicator of fermentation.

If it is bubbling, you're on track.

+1, I wouldn't worry. Yeast strains are different and work at different rates. Also the intensity and speed of the fermentation will be dependent on temp. Your hydrometer will tell you when it's done. I would wait three weeks before checking. Don't secondary this beer--as it wit, it should be a bit cloudy. I brewed that exact kit (extract) about 2 years ago.

Gotta type fast before Revvy gets in!!

RDWHAHB! You are doing fine. Listen now and believe me later; "Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation!" Repeat it out loud.

Airlocks only show you the movement of gas through the airlock. If the gas escapes somewhere else (between the lid and the bucket, or what have you, then the airlock will not bubble. I've got a bucket or two that don't bubble.

Yes, it's neat to see and gives you that warm bubbly feeling, but there are other ways to tell if the beer is working.

1. Check with hydrometer. This is the only sure way to know if your beer is done.
2. Sniff the beer. A good fermentation will burn your nose with CO2.
3. Look for visible signs of Krausen. Not the best way, but similar to keep track with airlock.

Most of all, the airlock will not tell you when the beer is DONE. Always use a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the SG of the beer before bottling.

Anyway, it sounds like you are making some beer, so hang in there. Check it again in 3 weeks.

Thank you guys for calming me down a little.. lol. Oh, and by vigerous, my other had bubbled a lot more.... about once a second. That's why I was concerned. Thanks for the help, can't wait to drink one!! And what was the reason I shouldn't secondary??

Back