Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fshnne1

Reaction score
So I just started to brew my annual Dads D.O.D been 13 years and I get all the grains and malt in the pot, get a pretty good boil going and I start to get me end additions ready, I notice I do not have any yeast!!!!!!!!!! Here is my options. I have a IPA that I just added oak chips to yesturday I could move off the cake and use that, but I am worried about loosing the oak chips / flavor because it just went on yesterday, also not to sure how this will add to my wit flavor??? or I have active dry bread yeast (would this work)????

HELP?????

Don't use bread yeast. If your only other option is to use the yeast cake, go ahead and wash that yeast to clean it up some. It won't be as good as a nice Wit yeast, but a damn sight better than bread yeast. Just pick your oak chips out and reuse them.

Is there no chance you could just run out this afternoon or tomorrow morning to pick up some yeast? I'd aim for that if possible. Just seal up your cooled wort to prevent anything from getting in there. Odds are you'll be fine. Many folks on here will report times they had to repitch yeast because initial fermentation didn't take off. When this happens, the repitching usually takes place a couple days after brewing. So just go get some yeast asap, but if it takes a day or so, it'll probably be fine.

+1 for not using bread yeast.

Maybe post where you are located at and someone around will have an extra sachet of yeast they will let you bum. Also like previous post, just seal up the wort good and stop by LHBS tomorrow and get what you need.

Back