Help. Yeast went through hell. Still alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch this afternoon and when putting the airlock into the rubber grommet in the plastic lid the grommet fell into the word (is it still wort since the yeast had been pitched) and sank. I poured it all into the priming/bottling bucket grabbed the grommet and poured in back into the fermenting bucket. Yeast used was wyeast German Wt 3333.

Was this action too violent for the yeast?

If I lost some yeast in the process will the ones still in there and alive produce more?

Will my first batch still be ok?

Thanks,
JP

Your yeast are fine. If anything the pouring and sloshing probably gave more oxygen to the yeast and they'll perform better.

I had the same problem a week ago. Fortunately, I had a small stopper that fit in the hole. The grommet is now somewhere in the yeast bed. I suppose I'll fish it out after i rack. Anyway..

Provided your bottling bucket was sanitized, you should be fine, if not better off. The pouring should actually help the yeast by providing more oxygen for reproduction. You really should shake the heck out the wort after pitching yeast.

Back