Help with Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So, I had my first attempt at saving yeast this weekend, someone please tell me, which is the yeast in this container...

Yeast.jpg

I have 3 containers like this and I want to consolidate them since they are mostly wort. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

OK here's what it looks like to me, please excuse the crudeness of the model, I didn't have time to put it to scale or to paint it.

Yeast5db.jpg

Hey, you try writing right-handed with a bar of soap and see how well your handwriting turns out! :p

Ol' Grog said:
Is yeast harvesting worth it? How many times can you re-use it???

Heck yes! For liquid yeast at least. If you use dry yeast don't bother for a .99 packet.

The uses you get depends largely on sanitation procedures, but a good rule of thumb is 3 times assuming it is used in a few months and you are reasonably clean.

eviltwinofjoni said:
OK here's what it looks like to me, please excuse the crudeness of the model, I didn't have time to put it to scale or to paint it.

Yeast5db.jpg

Hey, you try writing right-handed with a bar of soap and see how well your handwriting turns out! :p

You got it! Decant the liquid off the top down the drain, then try to get the yeast only into another sanitary storage container. It's OK if a little trub gets in with the yeast. Even if a good bit gets in there its no biggie.

homebrewer_99 said:
You will do yourself a real service if you learn how to wash your yeast.

Washing removes all or most of the trub and just leaves yeast.:D

What's to gain by washing? It seems like a lot of extra effort

rdwj said:
I store my harvested yeast in leftover White Labs vials, so I like to make sure all I have is yeast. The small volume is wasted quickly if I leave the trub in the mix.

Depending on your techique, you can virtually eliminate any bacterial contaminants as well (if you "acid wash").

Yuri_Rage said:
I store my harvested yeast in leftover White Labs vials, so I like to make sure all I have is yeast. The small volume is wasted quickly if I leave the trub in the mix.

Depending on your techique, you can virtually eliminate any bacterial contaminants as well (if you "acid wash").

I've yet to do it, but am considering going with the 3 pint jar method that Wyeast suggests. I've never heard of acid wash. Have a link?

I ended up going through another wash cycle with boiled water and managed to remove LOTS of trub as well as condense my 3 jars down to 1. There is still some trub and I'm waiting for all the yeast to drop out of suspension, but I think I managed collect quite a bit. I think I'll be following the yeast washing procedure from wyeast in the future.

rdwj said:
Washing gives you more pure yeast. It washes the old hops off which may or may not affect your flavor. Why risk it?

Additionally, if you just harvest yeast there is still some sugar that hasn't fermented and you have to burp your bottles. With washed yeast all the sugars are rinsed off and there's no need to relieve the pressure built up in your bottles because there isn't any.

I've seen some posts that say you can only reuse a yeast cake if you're brewing a darker beer than the previous one. Does the same apply to washed yeast or can you pitch it into something lighter since it's been washed?

Back