Help with Wiring PID Control Box...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So, I have enough Experience with wiring to know how to actually wire things together from a diagram, but as for designing and knowing where all the wires go, i am clueless. So I am aiming to build something like this

http://zamonski.com/herms/pidcontroller.htm

Where one switch turns the PID on (which in turns powers a heat stick) and the other turns on my pump...

I have this PID (http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3)

Optimally i would like to have them control outlets rather than hardwiring things in. Thanks...

If somebody could help me with a diagram i can work off of i would be most appreciative.

I think what you are asking is an easy way to contol a heater and pump at the same time with your PID / SCR combo. The easiest would be to just cut the Black (Hot) wire on a PWR Strip cord and hook these two ends to the output terminals of the SCR.

The PID will then be turning the power to this PWR Strip ON & OFF as it cycles.

If you haven't already bought your Auberins PID be aware that they also have a very similar one that has a built in relay output which can directly control up to 10 Amps (1200 Watts) without having to hookup & use the SCR.

Are you using a 120 or 240vac circuit? Also, you're going to need a SSR with that PID.

120... it is only powering a heating element for a small heat exchanger...and yeah, i have an SSR already

RockfordWhite said:
120... it is only powering a heating element for a small heat exchanger...and yeah, i have an SSR already
Are you planning a RIMS type system or a HERMS type system? From the heat stick comment I am assuming HERMS, but i want to be certain.

I used this schematic for a 240vac circuit:

2006360416639675744_fs.jpg

but I ended up only using 1 SSR to kill one leg of the element. I do have a switch earlier in the circuit to kill both legs of the power. Color coding on that is not right, and it's definitely not done by an electrician. Please please exercise caution and take this with a grain of salt. If you aren't certain what you're doing, find someone who does. Make SURE to use a gfi protected circuit. This is easier with a 120vac circuit. Don't electrocute yourself :eek:!!!

Also, check out this thread as it may have some answers you're looking for: Electric kettle with PID control
I used that same PID and it works very well for my HERMS

So if i wanted to wire a switch in, i would wire it in between the power cord to the terminal strip...also how would i also power a pump...

RockfordWhite said:
Make tripple sure that you have the proper SSR voltage and amperage for your task! I am setting up a similar system and have had a bear of a time getting the proper SSRs, although mine is set up for 220Vac.

~M~

I am going to be doing the same thing but I will be powering a plug instead of directly wiring the element. I will also be putting in a red light to tell me when power is going to the element and a switch to shut power off to the element.

I am using a 110 v pump so I will wire an additional plug to my control box with a switch so I can turn the pump on and off. I am using a herms system so I will not have to worry about the element running dry with out the pump on.

I with be placing my thermocouple on the out side of my heating coil. Since My element will be plugged into the controlled plug from the PID I will be also able to unplug the HLT element and plug in my Boil Kettle element. My HLT is going to be a 3000 watt 240v element. My boil kettle will be a 4500 watt 240v element.

My SSR is a rated for 240v and is 40 amps. My PID is from Auber and it has a manual control on it so I can adjust the voltage going to the boil kettle to reduce boiling over.

Some people were manually wiring in triacs and diacs which I know nothing about.

This to me makes life easier. I have a friend that is an electrician that should be able to help me out.

Back