Help with water?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So my brew partner recently bought a DI filter system so we could transition from Poland springs to DI water. He recently Brewed our flagship award winning DIPA and failed miserably. It was off flavor and much thinner mouthfeel. Just not amazing like we r used to. Just wondering what to start tinkering with to get it back to it original glory? Thanks

We're going to need a lot more info than that to help find out what might have gone wrong.

Did you add any salts to the DI water? I don't know what kind of profile Poland Spring has but I'm sure it has some of the essential ions that are recommended to have in your brewing water.. Whereas DI water has none of those ions.

Not sure what salts were added I know there was some gypsum calcium chloride epsome salt he used bruin water with a balanced light beer profile to get his ph correct

Also with the Poland Springs were using mash 5.2 in the mash water and 4 tsp of gypsum in the sparge water

bruin water with a balanced light beer profile to get his ph correct

You're not making a balanced light beer, why use that target profile?

I think a bitter amber profile would be more applicable to your needs for a double IPA.

Also adding the magical pH 5.2 powder means the unaccounted needless addition of a lot of sodium and phosphate ions to the water. It truly is junk if the water experts are to be believed.

It is a product that does not and demonstrably cannot do what it claims to do.

Also 5.2 is not a target pH that will be to the benefit of the majority of beers.

• Ditch the magical powder. (well established as junk)
  • Adjust mash pH with appropriate use of acid/acidulated malt/crystal or roast malts to target a higher pH (5.3 to 5.4) would be better I think for a IIPA
  • Select an amber bitter profile in Bru' n Water or find out the mineral profile of Poland Springs and build to that target.

What is a better option RO water or DI water

RO is far cheaper. Cheaper is good. Both will get you effectively a blank canvas from which to build your desired water. The residual mineral content in RO is not a problem.

Some brewers even advocate inclusion of 10% municipal water even if using RO.

Distilled water is just not needed. Can't justify the added cost of RO

Back