Help with Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....I'm looking to brew a Vienna next and would like a little guidance on the recipe. I'm looking for a nice copper color and I'm curious how to get that color without using too much crystal (60L)...or would a pound or so be ok?
Also, I have 1/2 a sack of Best Malz Munich malt from a bulk buy, but I don't know what Lovibond it is...on the sack it says "Munich 1"....I'm assuming it's a light color grain.
I'd like to hear any ideas or thoughts you all have...Thanks

100% Vienna malt

I'd save the crystal & Munich for something else.

EDIT: I think BestMalz Munich I is 6-8L. If you want to use your Munich malt, you could do an O-fest type beer and mix Munich/Vienna/Pilsner. Or a 100% Munich is mighty tasty, just not a Vienna lager :)

I use Beersmith and it shows a color of 5 SRM with 10lbs(100%) of Vienna...I thought it should be darker than that...I'd like a copper color somewhere around 12SRM

By the way, what styles would use 100% Munich? Thanks

Couldn't tell you much on the color - I've never really paid attention to that. Someone else could certainly advise you better, but some crystal 60 would bump you up there, but go easy on it. A pound is too much...don't want it too sweet. Other option would be to cold steep a small amount of dibittered black or carafa for color.

No defined styles that I'm aware of use 100% Munich, but the closest would be either a Marzen or Munich Dunkel.
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 04

EDIT: Here's a helpful thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/munich-tett-lager-smash-what-style-95631/

For whatever reason many homebrewers think a Vienna is dark. It's not. I'm with TyTanium on this one. 100% Vienna malt makes an absolutely wonderful and beautiful Vienna lager. Try it.

I just brewed a Vienna with Vienna, Munich, Pilsner, a few ounces (2 each) of carafa and carapils. Bittered with cluster and aroma/flavor with Mt. Hood. Used a decoction mash and 34/70 dry yeast. My first Vienna lager. Not much of a help, but the color is a nice copper, deep brown and the wort tasted amazing.

Back