Help with this Octoberfest/Marzen....for March then lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoocurt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have this recipe I cobbled together from various sources and now can't seem to find the original. I need some help, I'd like to brew in March and lager through the summer (in fridge) then have it ready for the start of football season and Octoberfest. I'll be getting the ingredients soon and just want to be prepared..... Here is the recipe.

OCTOBERFEST/MARZEN
6# Munich LME
1# Pilsner malt
.5# Vienna malt
.5# Biscuit malt
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# German Dark Munich malt

1oz Tettnang @ 60 min
1.25oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest

This is my first lager so I guess I'm asking about potential surpises.....

My questions are:

1. How long should I steep? Temp and water amount? I usually do 155* and 30 min with 2 gallons with my ales....is this o.k. with a lager?
2. My hops IBU's....I put it through Hopville, and it says 25.5IBU for a 3gal 60 min boil....does this sound right?
3. Anything else I should be concentrating on for my first lager?.... the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not sure of anything but trying to RDWHAHB

Thanks in advance for all the help, it's great to be a part of this forum...

V

IBU would depend on the alpha acid of the hops in question as well as the time in the boil. That being said, 25 IBU is ok for a Marzen, but I would be careful not to go over that if you want to stay true to the character of that beer.

A 30 minutes steep at 155 with those grains is essentially a mini-mash, that should work perfect provided the Pilsner malt is fully modified. If you can't get a fully modified Pilsner malt, either use a standard 2row malt or bump up your Vienna for more malt character.

Can you link to the extract you are going to use? Is it made with 100% Munich malt?

Ok, I see... with that percentage of Munich in the extract, you probably want more in the mash if you want a real, malty Marzen. (I do mine with 100% Munich 7 or Munich 10) AHS sells a nice Munich 7. If it were me making this beer, I would ditch the Pilsner malt and the Vienna and go for 1.5-2# Munich 7 instead. The other specialty malts should help make up the difference. Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

FWIW, I have a Marzen on tap now, 100% Munich 7 (SG 1.060) 22 Ibu, 1/2 oz Spalt to finish, fermed with S23

Mind your fem temps and you will have a fantastic beer :D

Overall, I think your recipe looks good, and you'll make a great beer with what you've got listed. That said, here are a few suggestions...

I like my Oktoberfests to be malty but relatively dry, so my preferred recipe is just 70% Munich malt and 30% Pils. If your palate is similar, then consider getting rid of the Crystal 120. It might leave more of an intense residual sweetness than you want. If you do prefer some up-front sweetness, though, try a lower-Lovibond malt like CaraMunich II instead. If you can't get it, then Crystal 40 or Crystal 60 would be decent substitutes.

I second wailingguitar's suggestion to replace the Pils and Vienna with all Munich. You could probably ditch the Biscuit malt in that case as well.

Be sure to make a good-sized yeast starter. Lagers need more yeast than ales to get off to a healthy start, especially if you pitch at fermentation temps.

That's my two cents. It's your beer, so take what you like and ignore the rest. :mug: Have fun brewing!

Ok, I see... with that percentage of Munich in the extract, you probably want more in the mash if you want a real, malty Marzen. (I do mine with 100% Munich 7 or Munich 10) AHS sells a nice Munich 7. If it were me making this beer, I would ditch the Pilsner malt and the Vienna and go for 1.5-2# Munich 7 instead. The other specialty malts should help make up the difference. Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

FWIW, I have a Marzen on tap now, 100% Munich 7 (SG 1.060) 22 Ibu, 1/2 oz Spalt to finish, fermed with S23

Mind your fem temps and you will have a fantastic beer :D

I looked at AHS and could only see the Munich that I have...am I missing something? Could you link me? So you are saying 1.5 -2 # of Munich 7 WITH the 6# I already have and ditch the Pils and Vienna? right? BTW could I just up the German Dark Munich to say 1#? What would that do?
SOOOOOO many choices....

Thanks again...seriously....

Overall, I think your recipe looks good, and you'll make a great beer with what you've got listed. That said, here are a few suggestions...

I like my Oktoberfests to be malty but relatively dry, so my preferred recipe is just 70% Munich malt and 30% Pils. If your palate is similar, then consider getting rid of the Crystal 120. It might leave more of an intense residual sweetness than you want. If you do prefer some up-front sweetness, though, try a lower-Lovibond malt like CaraMunich II instead. If you can't get it, then Crystal 40 or Crystal 60 would be decent substitutes.

I second wailingguitar's suggestion to replace the Pils and Vienna with all Munich. You could probably ditch the Biscuit malt in that case as well.

Be sure to make a good-sized yeast starter. Lagers need more yeast than ales to get off to a healthy start, especially if you pitch at fermentation temps.

That's my two cents. It's your beer, so take what you like and ignore the rest. :mug: Have fun brewing!

Thanks....sooo I'm getting the feeling the pils and vienna aren't needed. The reason I added them was this article. I have had some really good Marzen and Octoberfests and REALLY like the bigger sweeter malt profile with a hint of hop aroma and taste. Sooooo many damn choices...arrrrgh

Thanks again for all the help,....seriously it is appreciated....

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/11/01/brewing-marzen-and-oktoberfest-beer-recipes/

V

I looked at AHS and could only see the Munich that I have...am I missing something? Could you link me? So you are saying 1.5 -2 # of Munich 7 WITH the 6# I already have and ditch the Pils and Vienna? right? BTW could I just up the German Dark Munich to say 1#? What would that do?
SOOOOOO many choices....

Thanks again...seriously....

Right... Of course, with 6# of LME and any convertible grain, you're going to have a pretty good gravity... maybe 1.055 or so (depending on mash efficiency) + a little extra if you use the dark munich and crystal...

Also, be sure to check the alpha acid content of the hops, you don't want your IBUs too high... 20 is nice, 25 is pushing it. Minimal flavoring hops too (0-1/2oz) if you want it authentic

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_110&products_id=87

Thanks....sooo I'm getting the feeling the pils and vienna aren't needed. The reason I added them was this article. I have had some really good Marzen and Octoberfests and REALLY like the bigger sweeter malt profile with a hint of hop aroma and taste. Sooooo many damn choices...arrrrgh

Thanks again for all the help,....seriously it is appreciated....

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/11/01/brewing-marzen-and-oktoberfest-beer-recipes/

V

One thing you could do is make a few variations on this recipe between now and March, but ferment them as ales with a clean yeast like US-05. They'll be ready quickly, and you can see what kind of grain bill you prefer before you brew your lager in March. It's much easier to understand the contributions from the various malts when you've brewed with them yourself and tasted the finished product.

The bulk of your fermentables come from the munich extract, so you don't need to stress terribly over the combination of pils, vienna, and munich malts that comprise your mini-mash. They'll be relatively minor in the final beer. The crystal and biscuit specialty malts will be much more noticeable. Pils won't offer a whole lot of malty flavor in this beer, which is why I would get rid of it. Any combination of Vienna and Munich, though, will give you some malt flavor. If you favor the Vienna, you'll also get some toasted notes.

Like wailingguitar said, watch your IBUs and fermentation temps, and really, whatever malt profile you choose is going to turn out a fantastic beer that you'll be proud to serve your buddies next football season.

Thanks Noche,

Thanks for the great information and awesome idea on brewing early and trying it out....Geez good idea....

As usual this site and it's members are always willing to help and give great ideas, I think i'm going to drop the Hallertau to 1oz and 30 minutes and see if that changes much...dropping the Pils and Vienna, keeping the Crystal (maybe lower lovibond, think I have some 60) and Biscuit and adding the Munich 7 by 1#....I think that will about cover it....

Again thanks, keep the ideas coming!!!!!

V

Hey guys,

I have this recipe I cobbled together from various sources and now can't seem to find the original. I need some help, I'd like to brew in March and lager through the summer (in fridge) then have it ready for the start of football season and Octoberfest. I'll be getting the ingredients soon and just want to be prepared..... Here is the recipe.

OCTOBERFEST/MARZEN
6# Munich LME
1# Pilsner malt
.5# Vienna malt
.5# Biscuit malt
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# German Dark Munich malt

1oz Tettnang @ 60 min
1.25oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest

This is my first lager so I guess I'm asking about potential surpises.....

My questions are:

1. How long should I steep? Temp and water amount? I usually do 155* and 30 min with 2 gallons with my ales....is this o.k. with a lager?
2. My hops IBU's....I put it through Hopville, and it says 25.5IBU for a 3gal 60 min boil....does this sound right?
3. Anything else I should be concentrating on for my first lager?.... the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not sure of anything but trying to RDWHAHB

Thanks in advance for all the help, it's great to be a part of this forum...

V

Hey man, I had wanted to make one of these recipes and settled on yours. I made mine with your "revision" and hit this:
6.6# Munich LME (the sizes of briess are 3.3# per can)
.5# biscuit malt
.5# crystal 80
.5# German Dark Munich
1# Caramunich because that's what my LHBS had
and I know people have lots to say on this but....1# Carapils (I've been using it alot lately).
- All grains steeped for 45 mins at 160 deg
1 oz Tettnanger for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertauer 30 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins (pretty standard for me now)
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (was using old yeast and a starter - wanted it to work)

So, I had 2 questions:
1) What is Munich 7 :eek: I honestly had no idea and apparently removed that part when copying the recipe for my ingredient list
2) What was/is your OG and FG expected? My OG at 82 deg was 1.060 I think because of the additional .6# of the LME. This is my second lager and my first, I did not do a gravity reading before just taking it out and doing a diacetyl rest. I'd like to take a reading this time and attempt to get it right!

Thanks!

Hey man, I had wanted to make one of these recipes and settled on yours. I made mine with your "revision" and hit this:
6.6# Munich LME (the sizes of briess are 3.3# per can)
.5# biscuit malt
.5# crystal 80
.5# German Dark Munich
1# Caramunich because that's what my LHBS had
and I know people have lots to say on this but....1# Carapils (I've been using it alot lately).
- All grains steeped for 45 mins at 160 deg
1 oz Tettnanger for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertauer 30 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins (pretty standard for me now)
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (was using old yeast and a starter - wanted it to work)

So, I had 2 questions:
1) What is Munich 7 :eek: I honestly had no idea and apparently removed that part when copying the recipe for my ingredient list
2) What was/is your OG and FG expected? My OG at 82 deg was 1.060 I think because of the additional .6# of the LME. This is my second lager and my first, I did not do a gravity reading before just taking it out and doing a diacetyl rest. I'd like to take a reading this time and attempt to get it right!

Thanks!

Hi,
1)Munich 7 is this....I assume it's the Lovibond or color....
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_110&products_id=87
2)I am brewing this up this week and I'll post all my findings here....I actually have changed it to this...updated....
.....Also some of your OG numbers could have been due to the 82* temp....

OLD SOUTH OCTOBERFEST/MARZEN
6# Munich LME
.5 German Dark Munich Malt
.5# Crystal 60L
.5# Biscuit malt
.5 Vienna.....keeping it because of this article....

1oz Tettnang @ 30 min
1.oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest

This is what Hopville Estimated...I'll post my findings when I brew....
OG=1.055
FG=1.014
11 SRM
22 IBU
5.5 ABV

Hope yours turned out great....I am actually making room today in my garage fridge to accomodate the carboy....

V

Hi V,
I'll actually be bottling mine on Easter weekend so I'm not sure if it turned out well or not :) the brief sample I took when racking to the secondary for lagering SEEMED to be pretty good. Hope that lasts :)

What made you change the timing on your selected hops?

pwortiz,
I just thought the IBU's were a little high from listening to ealier posts and simply backed off the time.
BTW did you do a starter? If so, how? I ONLY have LME and would like to do a starter but can't seem to find the right ratio of LME to water. Also, did you just pitch at ale temp and lower it to lager temp or how are you lagering?

V

Hi V,
Guess we'll see how this plays then regarding the bitterness. I do plan to let this thing sit until late September but will test 1x per month or so :)

As for the process I executed, it went a bit like this:
- 3 days prior to brew day, I did make a starter. The guy at my LHBS just gave me 3 packets of the wyeast because it was 2 weeks past the "best before" date. I put 2 of the packs in because my flask wasn't big enough for all 3. It SEEMED to be OK and that I had some good viable yeast to pitch on brew day. The airlock was bubblin' away so that increased my faith.
- Post boil, bring to 80 degrees and pitch - I think I should have brought to 70 max instead based on what I have read since then. My gravity was 1.060 @82
- I waited to see the fermentation start then the real scientific stuff started happening:
1) I put in my basement shower that is built over a cement floor (and is friggin' cold) overnight ~10 hours or so that brought temp down to ~60 from 75 on the sticker thermometer
2) I moved to a closet in my basement - there's a little 3x3 space in there that houses the utitilities where they enter my house. I left in there for 9 days and the temp reading was about 52 on the sticker
3) I pulled out for diacetyl rest for 2 days. Took a gravity reading before transferring and it was at 1.015
4) Put back in the closet to get to get 52 again and then chucked in my mini-fridge for lagering @ ~35-36 ish. It will be 4 weeks in that fridge on Easter weekend when I will bottle. I'll pull out to get it back to room temp for bottling sometime around April 4th and prime/bottle on the 6th or 7th.

As to your starter question, I have never heard of anyone using LME for the sugars. I keep DME on hand now for starters and because I just don't enjoy/like using LME anymore. That said, what I have heard is that it takes DME requires basically 20% less weight to get the same sugars as LME.

I.E. if the recipe were to call for 10 lbs of LME, you would only need to use 8 lbs of DME for the same sugar content. <- call it hearsay for now. If anyone can contradict that on the forum, please do!

I have also heard that, when doing starters, you don't want to use any other type of DME than Light or Extra Light due to any other flavors you might impart during the process.

Personally, if I had no other choice and had Light LME, I'd do the math (100g of DME to 1000ml water would equal 120g of LME to 1000ml water, right? It's still early for me) and try it. But that's just me. Not sure if others would attempt the same thing.

Sorry for the mass amount of detail - I know you didn't ask for that much. Maybe if you see something there you can provide feedback too :)

P,
Wow, thanks for the info...I'm going to follow your timetable and degrees and see if we can both get a good Octoberfest. I have a garage fridge that I am going to lager in for a few months, but I don't have a temp controller. I'm going to turn my fridge up a little for primary and down for secondary. I have tested it over the past couple of weeks and even though the weather here in Lower Alabama is starting to heat up I can actually get pretty consistent temps.
I just got through with my yeast starter, I pitched @ 80 and had a OG of 1.050. I am not very optimistic that it is going to take off....I "smacked the pack" before I went to work and 8 hours later it still had not expanded. It was past its best date but....well,...we'll see.
I plan on lagering in my fridge until Sept. when I bottle....but I've been reading that some, like you, are doing the looong lager in the bottle. Have you read anything that supports this or is it just a way to sample and see if things are progressing correctly. I may switch to that(your) method. Anyway, great talking with someone that doesn't either make you feel stupid or post the SOS.:rockin:

V

V,
Good for you if you can get your fridge to stay above 48...I couldn't seem to get mine to do that. May be because it's a mini fridge? Best I could do was ~ 40ish on a consistent basis. I'll only ever be able to do lagers in the winter and very early spring months because of that closet :) ... and I want my mini fridge back for my other brews!

The first lager I did was from AHS (their Vienna) and that's the main reason I'm doing things basically in the same way here with this one; i.e. 7-9 days between 50-55 (dependent upon yeast strain?), pull out for diacetyl rest, toss in fridge for at least 4 week lagering period. I liked that recipe and am still going through it. Seems pretty tasty so it was executed in a manner that allows me to at least enjoy it ;) I am hoping for the same in this case.

I expect to bottle and then "cellar" this one though because I don't have enough fridge space to do additional lagering after the bottling process. I figure it'll stay around 60-65 for most of the summer months. I know it's a ways from now, but I'll be curious to hear your tasting notes in September if you execute your plan of just leaving it in the fridge for that length of time.

Hope that fermentation started out for you - best of luck!

I have dead yeast. I have ordered another pack. I am sad. I will report back when things are going better and back on track.

RIP little yeasties....Good news is you didn't miss your official opportunity time like I would have since you can lager at any time during the year :)

:rockin:Good news! Brewed and pitched my new starter. It's currently bubbling away in the fridge at a cool 50*.
What I did:
  1. Made 1/2 gallon starter day before gravity of 1.050 high?
  2. Brewed as usual. Steeped @ 150* for 30 min
  3. Boiled and added lme, and 1st hops then 2nd @ 30 min
  4. Decanted most of the wort from starter left around a qt
  5. Cooled to 60* degrees with cold water and topped to 5 gallons
  6. Gravity was 1.050
  7. Pitched yeast and aerated well. Yeast was active before decanting.
  8. Stuck it in the fridge and waited. Less thn 24 hrs later. Bubbles!!!!!!
Next:
Wait 2weeks and monitor temp
Diactyl rest. Someone tell me more. Is this necessary and what does it do?
Rack to 2nd and lager as cool as possible for two months.
Bottle.
Lager in bottle.
Oktoberfest!!!!!!!!!!mmmmmmmm:rockin:

Hey Folks,

I hope I'm not intruding on this thread. I thought I might mention that I put down a Mazen/Oktoberfest a couple of weeks back.

The weights are converted from metric.

5.5 lbs. LDM (light dry malt)
1.2 lbs. LME (amber)
.5 lbs. Caramunich II
.33 lbs. Carapils
.33 lbs. Pale Chocolate malt
1.07 oz. Hallertau 7.3% (60mins)
.2 oz. Hallertau 7.3% (0mins)
.2 oz. Perle 7.% (0mins)
2L starter Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager pitched @ 70* brewed @ 55*
6 gallon preboiled water (temporary hardness removed)

This is based on a 3.7 gallon boil for 60 mins. The grains were steeped @ 155* for 30mins.

OG 1.054 SG 1.015 (april 4)
IBU 23.8 SRM 13.7

The brew has been in the Primary for 12 days. I plan to rack to two 3 gallon carboys. One of these carboys I plan to lager in the fridge @ 36* for the summer months then bottle. The second carboy I plan to let sit for a month or so @ 50* then bottle and drink earlyish. We shall see if the long term lagering is worth the wait.

The one thing I noticed while following this thread is that no one mentioned what kind of water (liquor) was used in thier recipes or suggested recipes. From what I gather this style of beer should be use liquor with low temporay hardness and soft. Any thoughts on this matter?

Another question I ponder is how after so long a lagering time should I prime this brew?

Thanks,
Chad

Hey V,
Sounds like your re-do has come off nicely! Well done :) Specially with that massive starter!

I ended up bottling on Thursday night. Will take monthly samples to see how this thing goes. The 1 thing I can offer - take it as you will - is that, based on my current tasting notes, I would pull it out of the initial fermentation at 7 days instead of 9 or any longer. I think I am getting some of the diacetyl flavor.

Overall, the taste isn't bad that I had at bottling time. It does seem to me that I'm getting some of that "butterscotch flavor" that indicates diacetyl in the beer.

Regarding your question, you'll find some good info on the forum regarding what diacetyl is. In short terms - if I remember right - it's a byproduct of the yeast eating the sugars at low temps and creates a butter or butterscotch flavor in the beer. The "diacetyl rest" is done before the lagering period because the room temp allows the yeast to kick back into high gear and the yeast actually cleans this byproduct up on its own.

SO, I would suggest not waiting 2 weeks but that's your call. Next time, I'll probably only go for 7.

My final readings were not done in the correct order I think. I got my SG at 1.060 @ 82 (good for you for pitching at 60!). My next reading was 1.016 at 63 but that was AFTER my diacetyl rest if I remember right. So, I should have taken the reading at 5-7 days.

My final reading was 1.016 as well so nothing changed at all during the lagering period. That puts the recipe at 6.3% ABV according to Rooftop Brew's calculator.

Best of luck!

Green, you're welcome to the thread - it's an open forum :mug: I will keep your recipe on hand too and may make it next year to do some experimenting on what I like. Regarding your question on the water - I can't answer unfortunately. I did not add any brewing salts and just used my standard tap water and filtered water to top off to the 5 gal mark. The water in this area is....well, balanced I guess. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But that's an interesting comment. Will have to look into that a tad more.

Green,
Interesting take on the water idea, and thoughts are always welcomed. I guess to be true to the style you would have to have a "local" Oktoberfest in mind and try and match that water ph, hardness, etc. of the town/city...maybe Munich? Since I have no idea how to do that, or the time/desire to get that specific, I used what I have always used 6 gallons of distilled walmart water.

P,
I'm going to study up on diactyl and see what I come up with. Thanks for the notes, I'll keep them in mind. Thanks again, I think this is going to be a pretty valuable thread in the future.

V

Hi Pwortiz,

Thanks for the welcome!:mug:

I just racked my Marzen to the 2ndarys yesterday and remove it for the cold storage room for the D-rest then into the fridge for the summer! The sample tastes great!

I have a long time to wait and ponder. I am not sure how I should go about priming this one after the lagering. I am thinking the yeast will all but have fallen out of suspension and gone to sleep by then?

I have just recently started tweaking the liquor to try and fit my styles. I resently got my towns water analysis to see just what I was up against. It seems that my water is fairly balanced with the "good brewing" minerals but the water is very hard and the temporary hardness is really high as well as the pH. I've been boiling off the temp. hardness and also blending this with RO bottled water for the last few brews. None of these brews are of age to quaff yet but the SG samples have been promising.:)

UPDATE:
I am currently(Saturday) racking to 2ndary and put it into D-Rest on Thursday and Friday by raising my fridge to hover around 55-60* it started bubbling and I took a FG and it was 1.011 @ 70* I figure the temp had a little to do with being off my target. Will put back in fridge and lager until June 15th and bottle then lager in bottle until Sept.

Any input guys?

BTW---Tasted sample NO BUTTER TASTE----clean/crisp and with a dry finish---very drinkable.....not as malty as I thought----hops seemed spot on---

V

Good on ya, V! Sounds like it's going to work out really well! I haven't done any further sampling yet. I won't until it's been about 4 weeks and then I'll start sampling 1 x per month or so. I'll be curious to hear what the ending gravity is post lagering and just before bottling.

P,
When you bottled, did you put them right back in the fridge or let them warm up for a couple days then put them back in the fridge? What temp did you bottle at? I'm curious if I should let the brew stand for awhile then bottle or bottle straight from fridge. Any thoughts?

"I'll pull out to get it back to room temp for bottling sometime around April 4th and prime/bottle on the 6th or 7th."

Just saw that, my bad......did you let it set in the bottle a day or two or go back in the fridge?

V

Hey Guys,

Will there be enough yeast in suspension after a long lager time? Might I have to add a little more yeast at bottling time? Thoughts?

Hey V, Green,

I believe you have to let the bottles carb first at room temp (which is what I've done and have done since the 5th). I'm going to crack one open tomorrow night actually for a taste test/verification of carb level. If carbed, I'm going to put in my cellaring closet which is cool but definitely not at lager temps. I'm pretty much done with the "lager" period overall due to my available resources/equipment.

I can let you both know carb levels tomorrow. That'd be 3 weeks in the bottle at room temp.

Since this is only my 2nd lager ever, I'm not sure about significant longer lagering periods. I basically mirrored the AHS Vienna lager timing. My SWMBO really likes that one so I'm hoping for similar results on this :) Since it appeared to work, I didn't try to change anything else.

Will report back tomorrow!

Meh, I couldn't wait. I put some bottles in the mini fridge at lunch today and popped one open this evening. Pic attached. I personally think it's balanced pretty well between the malt and hops from the original recipe. Quite tasty. I'm really looking forward to see how this ages as I try one/month until September!

IMG-20120426-00078.jpg

Hey guys,
Sorry. Been away.
How's the carb level? Does it need more or are you satisfied with it?
It looks good from here, color is great.

V

Hey V,
I didn't get an auto message that you replied to the thread so I'm delayed in responding. I like the carb level just fine. It is super clear too....didn't expect that. But, just like with my previous lager, there is barely any sediment and the stuff that is there doesn't seem to "release" from the base of the bottle very easily. I'm going to go ahead and store this in my cellar room and have a bottle per month. I did share with some friends and all gave a thumbs up :) That's with only 3 weeks! So, I'm going to hide this from myself.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Hey V,
I didn't get an auto message that you replied to the thread so I'm delayed in responding. I like the carb level just fine. It is super clear too....didn't expect that. But, just like with my previous lager, there is barely any sediment and the stuff that is there doesn't seem to "release" from the base of the bottle very easily. I'm going to go ahead and store this in my cellar room and have a bottle per month. I did share with some friends and all gave a thumbs up :) That's with only 3 weeks! So, I'm going to hide this from myself.

Thanks again for the recipe!

P,
No Prob...glad it turned out for ya....you got any proven winners? Extract?
I have another couple weeks in the fridge then bottling on June 14th....it's crazy that somebody else is getting to taste my recipe earlier than me so :mug:.
I will surely be checking back here and tracing your carbing and timeline, thanks again for all the info....BTW I have a couple of recipes over in hopville search "voodoocurt" make sure you click on search "brewers". Some I've made and some I will make....the Liberty Wheat is great.....

V

V,
I have none of my OWN proven winners. I have an idea for one I'd like to do and I'll finally be able to do it mid-summer I think. Thus far, I haven't been into the formulations. I've tossed two recipes together because I had lots of left over hops to use and they were drinkable.

There are 2 brews I will pretty much always have on hand though. This is one of my favorites personally: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f58/german-pilsner-ale-221631/ and the other is http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/115-wheat-beer/444-celis-white-clone <<- That one receives LOTS of praise from everyone else that has tried it. We do seem to go through it pretty quickly.

So, those two in particular I will keep redoing. Otherwise, I've used this site to find lots of stuff and have bought from AHS quite a bit. I'm hoping to do a Jasmine/Ginger with a touch of honey or something like that with US-05 during the summer. Trying to settle on the hops and what grains, if any.

V,
I'm hoping to do a Jasmine/Ginger with a touch of honey or something like that with US-05 during the summer. Trying to settle on the hops and what grains, if any.

Hey P,

I have a pretty good Ginger beer recipe that I made last spring. I've been thinking about putting down another these days. I'll post the recipe if you are interested.

Hey Green, yeah, please float that my way. I'm going through V's other ones on that site too to figure out my other mid-late summer drinks :)

Thanks!

Hey P,

Here goes.

converted from metric:

Ginger Beer

3.74 lbs Cooper's Mexican Cervesa
1.1 lbsDME (light)
1.25 lbs LME (Amber)
1.1 lbs Honey
1.1lbs Fresh ginger root (pounded & boiled 20mins)
2 lemons (halved ,squeezed & boiled 20mins)
6.6 Gallons water
.25 oz. Cooper's Ale/lager blend (come with the kit)
.28 oz Chinook (20mins)
.8 oz Cascade (20mins)

G,
That looks really good. You mind if I put it in hopville and give you credit? Is that just a 40 minute boil?

Btw. P and G check your PM messages. I think I managed to send you something.

V

Back