Help with this Dunkel Weissen recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So Im just trying to make a simple Dunkel extract.

I have some left over Crystal 20L and some Belgian Aromatic that I want to get rid of.

Heres my idea:

6.60 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 84.08 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 6.37 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.37 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.18 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.25 %

Is this going to be too strong? Should I cut back on some of the LME?
I figure for cheap I can just by 2 cans of Muntons Wheat LME at 3.3lbs each.
How will the Aromatic taste with the Crystal and Chocolate?

My first thought was that the ibu's were a little low. I would think that you would want ibu's in the 20 ish range. My other question is the LME, Is that all wheat or a 60/40 blend of barley and wheat like the DME? Otherwise I like it.
The Aromatic adds a nice maltiness that I enjoy.
mark
Beer Diary...

I think Muntons is 60/40..

The ibus are purposely low.. I really hate hops and like a lighter maltier flavor. But according to beersmith, the IBUs for this style are between 10-18. For this recipe its showing up as 12.7

Im just wondering if this will be too strong and overpowering with an OG of 1.054

I guess I can always ad 1/2 a gallon of water or something.. that'll drop the OG to 1.049.

Add that half-gallon of water and you'll be within range and have a greater yield. Keep the IBUs low...I usually shoot for 8-10 IBUs in my hefeweizens.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 15

EDIT: Cut that aromatic down to 0.25 lbs. Just saw that...it's too much. Trust me, it doesn't just add "maltiness", it will give you an off flavor if used in large amounts. 0.25 should be really good, tho.

Cool thanks for the help DeathBrewer.. btw I took one of your heffe weissen recipes and modified it a bit. Cooked it up a couple days ago.. I'll let you know how it turns out.

3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.86 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
1.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.71 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU

edit: I took away 1lb of Pilsner, and exchanged Hallertauer. This was for a 5 gallon.

So you think that 0.50oz of Hallertauer is good?

According to Beersmith that puts me exactly at 8 IBUs

Are you accounting for boil volume? If you're doing a partial boil, it will lower utilization and you may have to use a bit more. Whenever I'm unsure, I'll shoot for the middle of the style.

0.75 ounces of mid-alphaacid, german-style hops is my standard when I'm unsure. I use it with lots of my homegrown hops that I don't know the exact AA content.

Cool thanks for the help DeathBrewer.. btw I took one of your heffe weissen recipes and modified it a bit. Cooked it up a couple days ago.. I'll let you know how it turns out.

3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.86 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
1.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.71 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU

edit: I took away 1lb of Pilsner, and exchanged Hallertauer. This was for a 5 gallon.

Looks great!
:mug:

Are you accounting for boil volume? If you're doing a partial boil, it will lower utilization and you may have to use a bit more. Whenever I'm unsure, I'll shoot for the middle of the style.

0.75 ounces of mid-alphaacid, german-style hops is my standard when I'm unsure. I use it with lots of my homegrown hops that I don't know the exact AA content.

Yeah Im doing a partial boil.. I usually boil about 3-4 gallons then dump about 1-2 in the carboy.

So the Dunkel is still in the primary.. still bubbling a bit.. probably gonna bottle in a week.

Deathbrewer.. I bottled that Weiss I made from your recipe.. cracked one open yesterday.. Spot On!! Seriously man.. it is almost exactly like a Hacker Pschorr. Thanks again.

Awesome! Glad to hear it...that torrified wheat and aromatic gives it an interesting character. I've been messing with First Wort Hops in all my beers lately, and I'm going to try it with a wheat soon and see if I can make a very unique hefeweizen. Worked great in my roggenbier.

Back