Help with the Math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tha_cyko

Reaction score
So i'm not sure how to do the math... I just finished mashing a scottish ale. the OG reading is 1.050 and i just pitched Nottingham Ale Yeast. What is my potential ETOH%??

well with attenuation 73 - 77% callit 75% so 50*25% = expect FG about 1.013 or 1.012

a formula is .133* point change - 50-13=37
37*.133 gets about 4.921 - so about 4.9% ABV. or maybe 5 to 5.1% if it goes to 77% attenuation. Now that is a rough estimate, the *.133 is an approximation. If you had a lab you could test it and know, but for the average homebrewer the.133*point change =ABV is usually good enough. People like the BMC or smaller sellers DFA have to know the actually and send samples to a lab as needed.

5%

Forget all that gobbledy gook above. Your ABV is almost always about the same as your OG.

I.e., if your og is 1.050, you will end up with about 5%

If your OG is 1.075, you'll end up with 7.5%

Believe it. (assumes yeast attenuation of 76%, which is a good assumption).

passedpawn is right, because 75% of 133 is about 100, so any time you have about 75 or 76 attenuation, your ABV is your OG/10 -

(usuall caveats about stuck fermentation, big beers with low ETHO tollerant yeast, etc.)

5%

Forget all that gobbledy gook above. Your ABV is almost always about the same as your OG.

That sir is K.I.S.S in it's purest form :D

5%

My moment of clarity for the day.... :mug:

Just make sure you buy and trust your hydrometer. I recently had a tripel get 90.58% attenuation, and a witbier get 88.12% attenuation.

Back