Help with stuck mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch of mead, a 1 gallon strawberry melomel with 2 cinnamon sticks and one vanilla bean using just over 2 lbs of honey and Red Star Premier Blanc for the yeast. The fermentation started up for a bit, but after only 4 days it started to die. I checked the ph level which was within normal parameters, i soaked the yeast prior to pitching, and i added nutrients and a booster as well. I made sure everything was sanitized and the house is kept around 76°, and while the carboy isn't covered it is kept out of direct sunlight. The yeast isn't expired either.

I can't figure out what the problem is, and now we're on day 5 and fermentation seems to have almost completely stopped. What can i do?

Attachments

• 0728201853.jpg
    0728201853.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 12
Admittedly no to both.
I just did a little degassing after reading your reply, but i dont have a tool to measure the gravity. Guess i should get one 😅
So, how does this help me figure out the issue?

Admittedly no to both.
I just did a little degassing after reading your reply, but i dont have a tool to measure the gravity. Guess i should get one 😅
So, how does this help me figure out the issue?
Making good mead that can be enjoyed fairly quickly is all about keeping the yeast happy (Creating favorable conditions and not stressing them) You used nutrients that’s good, releasing CO2 also keeps the yeast “happy” in the early stages. Getting a hydrometer or refractometer will provide you with useful information like knowing if fermentation is done and ABV. Many makers stagger nutrient additions. So if that is what you were going for...

i make some mead, but I’m certainly not as knowledgeable as some others, who will hopefully chime in soon. Cheers!

ok sooooooo my gravity test kit came today and sure enough the reading indicated that the fermentation is done. can't believe it finished so quickly, is that a normal occurrence? In any case, thank you for the suggestion and kind words. Here's hoping for smooth sailing!

ok sooooooo my gravity test kit came today and sure enough the reading indicated that the fermentation is done. can't believe it finished so quickly, is that a normal occurrence? In any case, thank you for the suggestion and kind words. Here's hoping for smooth sailing!

Yes, that's usual!

Back