Help With Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a medium gravity stout this weekend that has a nice roasty character to it. I've read that using Blackprinz malt helps achieve this without the astringent flavors created by Black Patent malt. Thoughts on this recipe?

9lb Marris Otter
1.8lb Flaked Oats
12oz Chocolate Malt [350 SRM]
12oz Crystal 80 Malt [80 SRM]
8oz Pale Chocolate Malt [250 SRM]
6oz Blackprinz Malt [500 SRM]

.75oz Northern Brewer [Boil 60 min]
1oz Willamette [Boil 20 min]

1 pack US-05

Thoughts? Or even if you could point me to a similar recipe, that would be helpful too.

Blackprinz malt is new-ish to me, but my experience is that it is most similar to Carafa III special- a hull-less and debittered black malt.

It is very mildly roasty, and while the beer above will be tasty, it would not be "stout" like without any real roasty flavors. It would be more of an English brown, with a blacker color.

Hmm...what I'm really after is something with moderately evident roasty flavors. I've brewed milk stouts before but nothing that quite matches that rich roasty stout flavors I like. Any tweaks you'd recommend to help me achieve that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hmm...what I'm really after is something with moderately evident roasty flavors. I've brewed milk stouts before but nothing that quite matches that rich roasty stout flavors I like. Any tweaks you'd recommend to help me achieve that?

I use Briess black barley (not black patent!) for my oatmeal stout, along with the pale chocolate and chocolate malt, like you have. It's a "coffee" type of roast flavor, and that's my preference. I don't use roasted barley very often, but others really like that.

I see your Oatmeal Stout recipe and that seems like a good starting point for me. Your notes say "not too roasty" - if I wanted it a bit roastier than what you have, which ingredient would you recommend I increase? The Chocolate Malt?

FWIW brown malt has some very nice roasty coffee-like tones, I've replaced some of the pale malt with brown in some of my porters and stouts and have been very pleased with the results.

I see your Oatmeal Stout recipe and that seems like a good starting point for me. Your notes say "not too roasty" - if I wanted it a bit roastier than what you have, which ingredient would you recommend I increase? The Chocolate Malt?

Maybe- or increase the black barley a tad or add a bit of roasted barley. I never went roastier, as I like the way that amount of roast tastes to me. It's definitely a stout- smooth and creamy but not sweet.

Maybe- or increase the black barley a tad or add a bit of roasted barley. I never went roastier, as I like the way that amount of roast tastes to me. It's definitely a stout- smooth and creamy but not sweet.

Appreciate the help!

Hey Yooper - how do you think your recipe would be with US-05? I have some lying around and I don't have time to make a starter for the Wyeast if I buy it. I've had mixed results with liquid yeast in the past. I always feel like they stall out around 1.020.

I have some US-04 too but I don't really want fruity notes in this beer.

Back