Help with stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theciderkid

Reaction score
10 lbs German pale malt
1lbs midnight wheat
1 lbs chocolate malt
1 oz Amarillo @60min

Thinking about this as a base for a stout with oak and cherry
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use roasted barley, and have never tried the midnight wheat.
I think you need some crystal in there, and I like flaked oats for mouth feel.

Midnight wheat gives a nice, smooth roastiness, though a pound of it is quite a bit. I would cut it in half and add some roasted barley. I would also consider using less chocolate malt, or dropping it altogether.

Seconded on adding some crystal, something like 40-60 L, and also oats for mouthfeel.

Why the Amarillo? If it's what you have on hand, then great, though it's such a prized aroma hop (and expensive to boot), that I would think about replacing it with something like Magnum or Willamette.

I like choc malt in my stouts, but I'd agree that some roasted barley and some caramel malt should be added as well. Maybe 1/2# roasted and some 60L. I've never used midnight wheat so I'm not sure how it contributes

as said above, either remove the chocolate malt (unless you want chocolate flavors) then I would add some chocolate nibs to secondary

Final recipe was
10 lbs German pale
1.25lbs chocolate
1.0lbs midnight wheat
.75 flaked oats
.75 120l
1.5 oz Amarillo 60 min
.5 willamette 10 min

I used Amarillo because I have some old pelleted I need to use up they have lost a lot of their aroma and as for the midnight wheat I wanted to use a higher percentage for the roasty-ness

Final recipe was
10 lbs German pale
1.25lbs chocolate
1.0lbs midnight wheat
.75 flaked oats
.75 120l
1.5 oz Amarillo 60 min
.5 willamette 10 min

I used Amarillo because I have some old pelleted I need to use up they have lost a lot of their aroma and as for the midnight wheat I wanted to use a higher percentage for the roasty-ness

The chocolate along with the 120L will really pop the chocolate flavor. We make a chocolate porter this way and we don't add nibs.

I used 12 oz midnight wheat in a dark saison and it is subtle, earthy, barely roast. I think a pound would be a nice base for the more flavorful dark malts. Interested to hear the results.

Just keeping this updated I legged today 1.009, and carbed using the shake method, it is very dark and cleared nicely so far I will try it in about a week after I keg to keg transfer it

Back