Help with starter, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swh127

Reaction score
I made a starter yesterday. I boiled 1 cup of extra light DME with 4 cups water for 10 minutes.

I cooled it down to 66 degrees.

I pitched in my white labs yeast (which i got out of the refrigerator about an hour before) into a gallon jar.

I poured the liquid over the yeast and then shook up the jar to airate.

I put a sanitized piece of aluminum foil over the jar and placed the jar in my 68 degree basement overnight.

There is no activity that I can see in the jar. There seems to be 3 different color layers to the yeast. The middle one being kind of cloudy.

What did I do wrong, how can I save this. I don't want to start brewing today if the yeast is not ready to be pitched.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong...that top layer is probably foam, which is your evidence that the yeasties are working. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong...that top layer is probably foam, which is your evidence that the yeasties are working. :cool:

So, should I wait another day to brew to give them a chance to multiply more, or go ahead and brew today?

Beer Captured said:
Leave it at 70F until there is activity in the airlock or foam on top of the starter. This will take ~ twelve hours. Use your starter immediately or put it in the fridge...

Northern Brewer said:
Once a frothy head has developed (usually in 1 to 3 days), pitch the active "yeast starter" into your fermenter.

If your top layer is foam, then it looks like you're good to go.

Back