Help with Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrange2

Reaction score
I am planning a Saison brewing session this weekend and have put together a recipe in Beersmith. I am looking for something with some complexity in the malt flavors and a little more body than a typical Saison. Any input or suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Mash at 154 degrees, 60 minutes with batch sparge
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Volume 7.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.057
Est Final Gravity: 1.006
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 25.7 IBUs
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 7.1 %
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 64.3 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.1 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 14.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 5.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 5.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - 5.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - 5.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11

3711 is a beast and will dry almost anything out. If you are looking for more body on this beer I would use a little less candi sugar and maybe some crystal/caramel malt. If you dont want the sweetness but want a thicker mouthfeel maybe some flaked oat, some wheat or maltodextrin.

Thanks for that, a little wheat sounds like a good idea. I don't want to use any crystal in a Saison. Anybody have any input on the hop schedule too? I winged that a little bit because I wasn't sure where to start for a Saison.

In my saison I typically stick with nobles like hallertau or tettanger... the style is really more about letting the yeast shine. That is where 90% of your flavor is going to come from.

That being said I can see really any hops finding some sort of home in a Saison. The spicy hops will ground it a bit and help balance the fruitiness of the yeast where as the more floral citrus hops will emphasize the phenols the yeast provides with the warmer fermentation.

I think it comes down to what you want. Tradition would state go with nobles but goldings and styrian also have their place in there.

Back