Help With Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoffman565

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing an Apricot ale for my next batch. I've searched around and found a lot of extract-only recipes. I really wanted to try another partial mash, so I came up with the following. What do you think?

1/2 lb. Wheat Malt
1/2 lb. Dextrine Malt
1/2 lb. Crystal Malt - 20L
6 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract
1 lb. Honey (variety TBD)
3/4 oz. Saaz hops for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnang hops for 60 minutes
1/4 oz. Saas hops for 15 minutes
49 oz. Oregon Apricot Puree (added to secondary)

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
Andrew

That is alot of wheat extract, I would try 3lbs of Light malt extract and 3lbs of Wheat malt extract.

The Crystal 20 will keep it fairly light, but the apricot puree and the honey will darken the beer a little bit, If you are tryin to keep the beer light make sure you do a late extract adition. If you don't care about the color the honey and the apricot puree will add, you could get away with a nice dark color by moving to crystal 60 or 120, this will aslo give you more of a carmel flavor.

With regards to the hops, it seems you are going for a very light bitterness, but to me apricots seem like they would be nicely accented by some citrus aroma, so perhaps throw in some cascade at the last 5 minutes. The use of tett is nice in that it will add some of the characteristic spiciness of different wits or wheat beers.

Back