Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf586

Reaction score
First of all, I can't tell you all how informative this forum has been in my brewing. Thanks for all of your input! :mug:

I brewed this today to clear the fridge of leftover hops and use up some yeast! Based on the recipe, in your opinion, what style did I brew and how do you think it will turn out? I'm thinking its going to be somewhere between a pale ale and an IPA.:confused:

5 gal. batch
45 minute mash @ 156F (tried to go for fuller-body)
60 minute full-volume boil

12 lbs. Breiss 2-row
1lb. Biscuit
1 lb. Crystal 60L
1 oz. Warrior 16.7% (60 min)
1 oz. Glacier 5.6% (20 min)
1 oz. Glacier 5.6% (10 min)
Nottingham yeast packet

o.g. came out around 1.060

The Notty is gonna dry it out some..good for a nice crisp drinker.

The 1060 SG makes it a bit above a session beer, however, your grain bill and hop schedule is akin to a light-moderate American IPA.

Sounds good, a bit of MO, might have added to the overall complexity, but the biscuit will definitely provide some nutty/bready character.

This beer will be very good as long as you control temps...otherwise, it will just be "good".

Looks to me like a rather malty American ESB.

Glacier is more herbal and earthy than citrusy, so more like an English hop.

Should be good regardless.

My only gripe is the Notty, the yeast is highly attenuative and clean at low temps. The hops at AA5.6% are gonna provide IBU's and flavor more on the American citrus side. Glacier is an American hop based off of the Fuggle variety, so yes it will be more earthy, but will still have some citrus notes. Overall, I think you will have a more American IPA.

ESB is an English style, I have never heard of an "American" ESB. Although, I am sure it exists, it is an oxymoron--a contradiction of terms.

I lean toward IPA at your measured gravity of 1060, and hop schedule, maybe top end of Pale Ale with the IBU's and choice of highly flocculative, clean yeast strain.

I stand by my earlier statement...good beer, if not great.

What I meant by "American ESB" was the fact that it has American hops and a malty backbone and gravity like an English extra special bitter. That's all.

I just noticed the aa% of the Warrior. It'll be bitter alright.

Thanks for the replies!

What I was 'blindly' shooting towards with this recipe was a Sierra Nevada Pale type ale. I know the recipe isn't right on, but I'm hoping for a full-bodied, hoppy, higher-abv pale ale. Hopefully with a little teperture control, I'll be able to get it to ferment down into the lower teens, if not lower. Let's hope anyway!!
Thanks again!:ban:

Back