Help with recipe change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piank9800

Reaction score
I recently visited my LHBS to pick up the ingredients for a recipe I had seen in one of the recent BYO magazines. It's called Liquid Pumpkin Pie. I got everything I needed, and had my LHBS mill the grains for me. When I got home I actually looked at the directions more closely (not just the recipe), and saw this,

"On brew day, mash in the first five malts and grains at 131 degrees in 15 qts. of water, and hold this temperature for 15 minutes. Raise the temperature by infusion or direct heating to 149 for 30 minutes. Raise the temperature to 158 for 30 minutes. Finally, raise to 168 to mashout. Add the pumpkin in the mesh bag, and the Caravienne, brown and chocolate malts..."

When I had them mill the grains, they put them all together, so obviously I can't put the first five in. Any suggestions on what I should do, how I might be able to tweak this? I'd hate to get more grains, but I don't know enough to change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just do a single infusion. It'll be a little different but still great beer. You could still try the step infusion but the brown and chocolate malts might screw with your mash PH. Don't panic until you taste it! I'd do the single infusion.

Get a grain mill. Best money I ever spent homebrew wise. This will eliminate situations like this. All you need is a simple Corona style mill and you're good to go.

All the Best,
D. White

I agree with D. White. What the recipe describes is a step-mash. You will still get a great beer with a single infusion mash. Brew on!

Great! Thanks for the help guys. Also, the wife was just asking what I wanted for Christmas, so a grain mill might make it to the list.

The step mash rest at 131 would have been a protein rest. Unless you have undermodified malted barley, you don't really need one. Depending a bit on your crush, the step from 149 to 158 might not do much either. Some brewers have mentioned that the fully modified malts from North American maltsters don't respond very well to the differing mash temps so a 149 or 158 might get you nearly the same beer. Those of us who are milling fine for BIAB are finding that to be true.

Back