Help with Recipe/Belgian Wit from Grape and Granary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucknutbrew

Reaction score
I just went ot my hometown brewshop (Grape and Granary) and purchased their Belgian Wit Recipe. How dow you think that this recipe will turn out?
I plan on starting at about 9pm EST.

The kit was $27 and includes:
1 Nottingham yeast (will not use); purchased liquid 3944
1 3.3lb Briess Pilsen extra light LME
1 3lb bag of 60% wheat/40% barley DME
little bag of bittering hops (undisclosed)
Orange peel, bitter 2-oz curacao
2oz corriander seed

anticipated sg 1.051
IBU-16
45minute boil

1. boil 2 gallons of wter
2. turn off heat; add dme, lme, bittering hops (not in a bag)
3. bring to boil for 45 minutes
4. 15 minutes add Irish Moss
5. 10 minutes add spices

I plan on leaving in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottling

Any feedback would be appreciated. This is my second batch of beer. First was an American Brown Ale from Morebeer that turned out great, after I waited a month before drinking.

What Belgian will this be closest to?

I may have to call and find out what hops they use in their recipe.

Sounds like a solid recipe. Its a Wit, so it will be close to Hoegarden, Allagash White, Blue Moon (it will taste better, I promise!) and other white/wit ales. Its kind of weird they don't tell you what type of hops. Its probably Hallertauer or similar low AA% noble hop. I'd call and ask what variety and AA%. I guess they might be trying to guard their recipe, or they might just repackage hops according to kits and are too lazy to write down the info on the package.

Brew that bad boy!

Thanks. Do I have to crush the corriander seeds or just dump them in? Will it be okay if the hops get into the primary?

I just hope that it is closer to Blue Moon than Hoegaarden. I know that most people think that Hoegaarden is better, but not me. I also like Great Lakes Holy Moses.

Back