Help with rebuilding kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagic14

Reaction score
So my work was throwing these out...they are just pressurized water they used as fire extinguisher and eye wash stations. They haven't been used in over 10 years 1399566294371.jpg

I was able to take the connector off on one of them1399566269983.jpg

But broke off the connector an another1399566281593.jpg

And one I'm still working on1399566258674.jpg

Is this as easy as buying the pin lock (that's what I use) parts and poppets and I'm done or is there something I'm not thinking of?

Also is there a way so salvage the one I broke off? There is just a hole now in it1399566281593.jpg

I believe pin/ball lock fittings have a few different thread sizes, so you would have to figure that out. as for the one you broke it may be possible to rethread it somehow but I would consider making it a SS fermenter and using that hole for an airlock.

The threaded post you broke off i think the repair would be probably be more then buying a tested, used keg. As jekeane said turn it into a fermenter; clean up the hole and stick a rubber grommet in there for the airlock.
as for rebuilding the other http://www.homebrewing.org/ seems to have the best selection of keg parts, find out who manufactured them, its usually stamped into the side, and then you will know what parts to get since each manufacturer is a little different.

Alright.. any suggestions on how to loosen up the posts...A wrench and hammer isn't working

Alright.. any suggestions on how to loosen up the posts...A wrench and hammer isn't working
I'd suggest applying a penetrating lubricant for several days before trying to remove the other posts. I prefer AeroKroil but PB Blaster might be easier to find. Stainless threads are prone to galling and it is wise to lubricate them to keep them from fusing themselves to the point that you break the keg. You'll have to clean up with a detergent to ensure the oils are removed when you are done, Simple Green would work well but even dish soap would be ok.

If you have a correctly fit socket it should be fairly easy to connect it to a breaker bar and slip a bit of pipe over the handle to get more leverage. An electric or pneumatic impact driver would also work very well.

Never done it before so not good...hopefully I can find someone who can though thanks for the link

Back