help with primary/secondary/dry hop and cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Wondering if ill benefit from a cold crash anywhere in the following:

hoppy pale ale
US-05 yeast rehydrated
Using distilled water with additions
mash ph after 10 minutes was 5.4, pre boil ph was 5.2
cooled with plate chiller into fermenter after 15 minute hopstand
Fermentation set at 19 c controlled with stc1000 in fridge
Gonna dry hop in primary when high krausen dropping(after 4 days roughly) for 3 days then gonna rack to secondary.
How long would anyone recommend for secondary and would a cold crash for a certain time before raising to bottling temp do anything?

Thanks for any input

There are plenty of threads about whether to secondary or not, so I'm not going to rehash that.

I would recommend cold crashing before you bottle though. 3 days at cold temps will keep the bottle sediment to a minimum and help clear the beer much quicker.

Thanks Bill, I was more interested in cold crash than secondary so great. Would you go to 5 degrees C for 3 days then bottle or let rise up to a higher temp for bottling after 3 days cold crash? Thought bottling should be done at conditioning temps thats all

There are plenty of threads about whether to secondary or not, so I'm not going to rehash that.

I would recommend cold crashing before you bottle though. 3 days at cold temps will keep the bottle sediment to a minimum and help clear the beer much quicker.

^ what he says.

No need to rack to secondary, the less you rack, the better, unless there's a very compelling reason (e.g., fruit additions, long term aging). Do everything in the primary. Dry hop 5-10 days before packaging, cold crashing at near 0°C the last 2-3 days of the dry hop time.

If you use a bucket for primary, there maybe a valid reason to rack to a secondary (small headspace) before dry hopping to prevent oxidation.

If you have kegs, you can dry hop in the keg.

Last edited:
"Thought bottling should be done at conditioning temps thats all"

The yeast don't seem to mind. Once they get back up to room temps, they wake up again.

Cold crashing is all I do and I strongly recommend it. You don't need to let the temp rise or anything. Crash for at least 3 days then bottle.

It's like magic :)

Back