Help with Partial Mash Scotch ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcjohnson

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post here. I've been reading this forum for a while and have successfully brewed a round of beer (an extract hefe). It turned out okay.
Now my parents got me a Brewer's Best Scottish Ale kit for christmas, but I want to kick up the difficulty a notch by turning this brew into a partial mash. The kit includes the following:
3.3lbs Ambe LME
1lb AMbe DME
4oz crystal 60L
4oz smoked
4oz chocolate
1oz Roasted Barley
1oz Glacier hops pellets (half for bittering and half for aroma)
1 packet dried yeast.
Targets are:
IBUs 15-18
OG: 1.034-1.038
ABV% 3.25% - 3.5%
Which, I believe makes this kit a 70 schilling ale

So, I am planning on doing a partial mash following the stove top technique that DeathBrewer has outlined, but I have no idea where to go from here on the recipe.
I would like to make a starter and plan on buying a Wyeast package of scotch ale yeast for that.
I would like to modify the recipe to either an export or strong scotch ale by increasing the fermentables via a partial mash technique. I may use some of the DME for the starter if people think thats a good idea.

I am just looking for some help! Thanks everyone!

Also, one last question. In the directions that came with the kit it says to steep the grains that came with the kit for 20 minutes at 150-165. Now, if i go ahead with the partial mash, would I still do that separately or just combine it with the other grains in the mash.
Sorry if this was in the wrong section of the forum (not sure if it should be recipe/ingredients or partial mash section)

Thanks again and sorry for the long post!!

-Doug

Go buy 4# of Marris Otter and use a cup of the DME to make your starter like you said. (You can throw the rest in your boil) Add all your steeping grains to the base malt and hold at 156 for 60 minutes per death's methods. I'm assuming you're in Charlotte, NC. Since you need to go to the LHBS I recommend introducing yourself at Alternative Beverage. Most of the guys over there are very friendly and helpful. You def have a great resource to use with both of their locations. Cheers!

Thats great! Thanks for the info and the heads up on Alternative Beverage. I am pretty new to the Charlotte area, so I really appreciate the tip.
thanks again.
Doug

Go buy 4# of Marris Otter and use a cup of the DME to make your starter like you said. (You can throw the rest in your boil) Add all your steeping grains to the base malt and hold at 156 for 60 minutes per death's methods. I'm assuming you're in Charlotte, NC. Since you need to go to the LHBS I recommend introducing yourself at Alternative Beverage. Most of the guys over there are very friendly and helpful. You def have a great resource to use with both of their locations. Cheers!

This is good advice, BUT you might want to make sure you can mash all that grain in the equipment you have. With the specialty grains and Marris Otter (or other pale 2-row), you're up to 5 pounds. Given my system, I max out at about 4 pounds (I can only boil about 2.5 gallons). If you have the equipment to handle this volume, go for it. If not, just cut back the Marris Otter (or whatever base grain you get) to fit your capacity.

Back