Help with off flavor!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorjeeper

Reaction score
No matter what I do I continually get this apple/cider flavor. Just did an all grain batch of NB nut brown. Pitched between 60-65, and fermented at 60 for about 4 weeks. Then raised the temp to 70 for two weeks. Just put into the keg and forced carbed. Any help would be appreciated. Im coming to the conclusion that no matter what I do, I will never make a good beer.

Sounds like it could be the water. Try a batch with store-bought spring water. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, distilled water with added CaCl.

Extract or all grain? Stale malt extract can give some off flavors. Sanitizer residue with iodine can make things bad, bleach can make things bad.

Maybe the yeast strain should be changed. Did you dry hop the beer? Dry hopping with less than freshest of fresh hops is a great way to make a good beer worse.

Currently use a conical fermentor, and lagering fridge. Brewed the nut brown all grain kit from NB. Brewed the beer on 10/9/11, OG 1.040 at 70. Pitched yeast at 60 degrees. Yeast was wyeast 1945 NB neobritannia. All equipment was cleaned with PBW and sanitized with star san. Used filtered tap water. Trub was dumped 3 weeks after pitching. Raised temp up to 70 degrees the last week and cold crashed on 11/21/11. Transferred on 11/23. Forced carbed beer in kegerator. Poured beer again today, and damn, that cider/sour flavor again. Right now, I am degassing a cup of beer to see if maybe my co2 is giving me off flavors. One thing I did notice is that the beer tasted awesome on 10/16/11.

Seems like 60 may be a bit low for that yeast. Prob flocced out before finishing resulting in the acetalhyde flavor. I think...........

Back