help with oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
So I made a stout recipe going off of a few others and tweaking it to come out somewhat similar to the oatmeal stout from Ninkasi Oatis. The Oatis has excellent coffee and roasty flavors coming through with good body. OG of 1.072(no FG listed) Didn't want this to be a clone but wanted something equally good.

My problem is my stout seems somewhat thin and very boozy. The OG was 1.071 and the FG was 1.020. I used s-04 and fermented at a constant of 66 degrees.

I just want to know haw to bring out more coffee and chocolate flavors with my recipe and lower the boozy taste while keeping the level at roughly 7 percent. I think the Willamette hops might have been a bad choice and I should have just gone with EK goldings throughout. But again I am looking for a more Coffee and chocolate malt forward proflie.

The recipe is:
35% 5 0 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 34 30
35% 5 0 Briess Pale Ale Malt 37 3
7% 1 0 Flaked Oats 33 2
5% 0 12 Briess Chocolate 350 L 34 350
5% 0 12 Victory Malt 34 25
4% 0 10 Franco Belges Kiln Coffee 25 150
4% 0 8 English Crystal, 70-80 L 34 75
4% 0 8 Black Barley (Stout) 25 500
14 2
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.070 measured (1.072 estimated)
Final Gravity: 1.020 measured(1.019 estimated)
Color: 50° SRM / 98° EBC (Black)
Mash Efficiency 72% measured (75% used for O.G. estimate)
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
first wort 60+ mins 2.0 East Kent Goldings leaf 5.0
boil 30 mins 0.75 Willamette leaf 4.7
boil 5 mins 0.75 Willamette leaf 4.7
Boil: 7.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness: 46.7 IBU / 10 HBU
yeast: Safale S-04 Dry Yeast
6.7% ABV / 5% ABW
(7.1% est. ABV / 5% est. ABW)

Thanks guys for any help.

What was your mash temp? If you want to thicken it up you might mash a little higher to get more dextrins. To keep the same ABV you'll have to up the grain bill. Not really sure that the williamettes are going to make that much of a difference. Did your coffee go into the boil, mash or secondary? Might try using either more coffee or adding cold pressed coffee to the fermenter.

Jason

Mash was at 154. I actually did not add coffee to this. It just seems that right now the alcohol is covering up the other flavors. Probably just going to have to let it sit for a while and see if it improves. So far it has had 1 month in the bottle.

Possible option of lowering the base grains and little and replacing the amount with more adjuncts?

I have an oatmeal stout thats very similar to yours. Its now at 2 months in the bottle (3 months from brewday) and its just now mellowing on the phenols and hitting its stride. Smoothed out nicely and all the undertones your looking for have come out. Just give it a little time. Your recipe/fermentation seems spot on to me. Willamette is a great hop for dark beers.

The way to get the flavors to come out more and the boozy taste to go away is to leave it in the bottle longer. Give this one 3 months in the bottle and then come back and report on it. The complexity that you expect from your stout takes a long time to come together.

Back