Help with oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thbstwthn

Reaction score
Hey guys...

brewed my first oatmeal stout and it did come out really good.This is the recipe i used:

6 lbs. amber, dry malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt, 60° Lovibond
1.5 lb. American six-row pale ale malt
18 oz. oatmeal (quick)
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
0.5 lb. roasted barley
1/2 tsp. Irish moss, for 15 min.
2 oz. Fuggles hop pellets (4.2% alpha acid), for 45 min.
Wyeast 1084, Irish ale yeast

*****The only adjustments i would like to make tastewise for the next time is for it to have a little more roastier/toastier taste along with a slight caramel sweetness...what do you guys suggest to add to the ingredients?

Thanks a million and happy holidays!!!!

For more roast flavor, you could try adding some black malt. It's a bit more intense than the roasted barley. It's black roasted barley, a bit darker than the regular roasted barly. I used 8 ounces in my current oatmeal stout, and it's roasty!
For the caramel, you could increase the crystal you're using if you want, or add some crystal 80L to it. Maybe 8 ounces of crystal 80L will give you the depth you're looking for.

Hey guys...

brewed my first oatmeal stout and it did come out really good.This is the recipe i used:

6 lbs. amber, dry malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt, 60° Lovibond
1.5 lb. American six-row pale ale malt
18 oz. oatmeal (quick)
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
0.5 lb. roasted barley
1/2 tsp. Irish moss, for 15 min.
2 oz. Fuggles hop pellets (4.2% alpha acid), for 45 min.
Wyeast 1084, Irish ale yeast

*****The only adjustments i would like to make tastewise for the next time is for it to have a little more roastier/toastier taste along with a slight caramel sweetness...what do you guys suggest to add to the ingredients?

Thanks a million and happy holidays!!!!

Back