Help with NZ IPA hop bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies for making two threads - I am new to this site and did not realise there was a more appropriate sub-forum to post this in (this one).

I'm thinking 4.5kg (10lbs) light LME and 1lb crystal malt for the base and hopped with either Riwaka and/or Motueka along with Nelson Sauvin and perhaps some NZ cascade.

I'm completely new to this, it took me a long time to choose those hops and I'm getting overwhelmed looking around at others' recipes - These NZ hops are harder to find recipes for and I cannot find one close enough to what I'm looking for to simply pinch the hopping schedule from.

It would be great to get some help with the hops on this one!

I want this beer to be light, citrusy (perhaps to a lesser extent other fruity notes) and dry. I really like hops and the beer should be bitter enough for the style but not too too much on the in-your-face bitterness you get on the first taste of some IPAs.

Thanks in advance, guys!

That would work. Maybe 3/4 lb. Crystal 10-40 though... and an OG of roughly 1.062-1.065. Use about 8% total corn sugar and half of your extract as late additions.

A basic 60/10/0/DH schedule should work, but go light on the bittering addition (20-35 IBUs). You can add a 20 min addition in there if you want more IBUs. From the sound of it, you probably want to stay between 55-70 final IBUs.

Watch the amount of late hops and dryhops you use as things can get overpoweringly fruity if you go overboard. Some Southern Cross hops would work quite well here.

Use a basic clean yeast like US-05 and ferment in the lower 60s.

I've run the numbers through beersmith...

Adjusted to 1/2lb crystal malt.

Current hop schedule is 1oz Motueka and 1oz NZ Cascade at 60, 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes each.

Any ideas on tweaking that hop schedule? Not sure how it would end up really so I guess it pays to ask.

Back