Help with non-carb'd bottles after 2 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sejasba

Reaction score
I posted this about 1.5 months ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nb-imperial-stout-carbonation-issue-465458/

Long story short...

-Imperial stout was in secondary in cool temps (60F basement) for 3 months.
-Bottled early March, went back into that cool basement.
-Likely should have been warmer, so brought it back upstairs after 2 weeks.
-It has been 1.5 months since then and carbonation is still lacking

I understand this is a big beer, but after 2 months, I would expect some progression with the carbonation. I think the cold winter we had resulted in a lot of yeast dropping and not getting bottled, and whatever was bottled just isn't able to carbonate well.

What can we do to remedy this? If i lost a brew that took a month to ferment and bottle, whatever, but we started work on this batch in November and I'm not going to lose it over non-carb'd bottles. Is it just a matter of mixing up some sugar and yeast, re-opening every bottle and putting some in, and capping them again? That's the only thing I assume that could be done, but I don't know what the proper procedure would be.

Thanks!!!

You don't really give any info. What was the batch size, what/how much priming sugar was used, what type of capper are you using, how many batches have you done with that capper?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I did an Old Rasputin clone that was similar to this. Turned out, it bottle conditioned too cold. I brought the temp up by letting the cases sit in my garage at around 75-80F, and a couple weeks later carbonation was perfect.

Sounds like you already tried this though.

Isn't there some tablet or something that you can drop into the bottles to carbonate them? I thought I read about it somewhere. Never tried it though.

On the plus side, stout makes a great beer bread! :D

I had that happen to me on a Oak Aged Porter once. Ended up having to keg it. Every bottle seemed flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Patience...that beer is only getting better with age. I've never had an issue with carbing big beers for my first 3 years. 10%, 12%, every single one was carbed by 3 weeks. I even did a 14% that had low carbonation after 3.

Then I did a 10% wee heavy. It was my first time using scottish ale yeast. It took 5 months! Granted, they are amazing now, one of the best I've made.

I actually tucked them aside saying that I would simply use them to marinate and BBQ with in the summer, and sure enough, when I went to add one to some ribs, it was carbed. The annoying part was that I added yeast to about 1/4 the batch after 2 months, then another 1/4 2 months later. The first to carb was the original bottled batch.

Isn't there some tablet or something that you can drop into the bottles to carbonate them? I thought I read about it somewhere. Never tried it though.

Yeah, PrimeDose I think is the name of a newer northern brewer product. It is supposed to have yeast and priming sugar in a capsule. I was considering it, but after reading Calichusetts' reply about having to wait 5 months, maybe I should just wait more....!

Haha, well, what do you know.... we happened to open another bottle (1 of 2) that I had put in the fridge the other day. The one I opened yesterday was really flat. I opened up the second one tonight and this happened...

When we were racking in the bottling bucket, I did put the priming sugar solution in first, but after everything was siphoned in I forgot to stir. I remembered afterwards and was pissed, but I figured since the sugar was there first and then we siphoned, it should have stirred up a bit. I guess I was wrong.

When we were racking in the bottling bucket, I did put the priming sugar solution in first, but after everything was siphoned in I forgot to stir. I remembered afterwards and was pissed, but I figured since the sugar was there first and then we siphoned, it should have stirred up a bit. I guess I was wrong.

No need to stir. I add the sugar mixture first then just siphon in at an angle to get a whirlpool. I've never had an issue with uneven carbonation. Glad it finally carbed

I put a racking cane upside down at the end of the hose. It mixes really well with little/no airation.

Perhaps a bad mix, perhaps a loose cap.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back