help with my steam beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryicekills

Reaction score
as i posted before, i was worried that fermentation had stopped in my carboy. there are no bubbles, no yeast ring around the top. there is, however, a yeast cake layer at the bottom, and since it was a lager yeast, im guessing that its normal not to have the yeast ring up top (as lager yeasts are bottom fermenting, correct?). Anyways, I've decided to check the gravity to make sure everything is going well. What should the final gravity of a lager be? I'm confused since I'm not actually lagering it.

You are correct that lager yeast is bottom fermenting. What was your OG? Post that along with your FG and we can tell you better what is going on.

to tell the truth, i never took a gravity reading at first, because i was told that it wasn't ABSOLUTELY necessary for ales. only after fermentation started did i realize it was a lager kit

Either way, you should be able to estimate the SG based on the recipe and obviously just go measure the current gravity. Use the typical attenuation for your yeast strain (see the labs website) to ballpark where you are in the process.

ok, so i know now that airlock bubbles arent always there, but shouldnt there be some kind of visual activity in the wort?

Back