Help with my partigyle, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been doing 10-gal. brews. To date, they have been the same beers. I'm wanting to split my my batch between 2 styles, an English IPA and a Scottish Ale. Since these 2 recipes are so similar in their base ingredients I want to do a 10-gallon mash, then brew the IPA with 1/2 of the mash and hold back approx. half of the wort for the Scottish, which I would probably do the following day. My question is how much water should I plan to use/add for steeping my specialty grains in the Scottish recipe (there is 1# Crystal, .5#Roasted, .5#Smoked Peat and some Chocolate). And mostly, can I steep the grains in the 1/2 of the wort or a portion there of from the split batch? Would heating the wort and holding it at 150+/- for an hour cause any unwanted flavors? I have been trying to decide if I should decrease the volume of my mash and increase the OG on the Scottish portion just to dilute it or reduce the volume and add DME to get the OG where I want it. I have been looking for threads/post that address these questions but I am getting a headache searching through so many non-relevant posts. Thanks for your help.

Steeping specialty grains in sweet wort should be OK.
I would not mash one day and boil thee next. Wild yeast and lacto will go wild overnight and your flavors will be off.

As for quantities of water, that requires a bit more information about your recipe.

You could try searching split mash or something, as what you propose is not quite partigyle. Partigyle is a batch sparge process were the first running are used for one beer, and results of a sparge are used in a smaller beer (although this could be what you plan to do but I am miss understanding)

I would not mash one day and boil thee next. Wild yeast and lacto will go wild overnight and your flavors will be off.

As for quantities of water, that requires a bit more information about your recipe.
Do you think I would be risking wild yeast and such if I had the wort in a sealed bucket and refrigerated it? My concern is that I would run out of day before I got the second brew done. I guess I could start earlier. My plan is to hold back about 4.5 gal. of wort then steep with 2-gal. and add that to the 4.5 for my boil.
The quantities are up in the air depending on how much steepage water I will be adding. I kind of figured on winging it and trying to take good notes (for next time) but I started finding some discussion on splitting batches so I thought I would just ask.
Thanks for your help.

I think I will try to get another burner and brew both batches on the same day. I would hate to waste all that effort.
Thanks again.

Grain is covered in Lacto, it will be contaminated even covered. Your sweet wort coming out of the mash tun is full of bugs, until it gets boiled. If you boil it for a little while (a few minutes, you might be OK).
Running multiple brews does allow extra effenticeies, if you look.
You can sparge for the second batch while the first one is boiling.
If you use a bucket and an IC you can finish chilling in the bucket, and start heating the second batch.
You could heat your steeping grains on the stove, and get that water boiling before adding it to the rest of the wort (every little bit helps).

So anyway, a split batch in one day is not 2x the time, but you should really try to get both done.

If you look into the no-chill method that the Aussies pioneered you'll see they've had good luck storing boiled wort for months without pitching.

I would imagine that you could use the same idea with wort that hadn't been boiled as long as you held it at pasteurization temps. for the requisite time.

The keys would be thorough pasteurization, a well sanitized container, and no headspace, I would think.

Check out how they do it and see if you think it's more trouble than just going through with the boil :)

I have read a little on the "no chill". I'm not sure it is something I would try, at least not right now. I'm still learning AG. I think I will just staggeer the start the 2nd boil and get them done in the same day. Thanks for the replies.
CS.

1/2 lb smoked peat? That seems excessive. Have you used this before? It's pretty potent.

Back